The Shop > Tools

Is it Dead?

(1/6) > >>

Darren:
I was digging around my shed earlier and I found this....(I also found what I was looking for next to it  :ddb:)

I didn't even know I had it, no idea where it came from, but some monkey has drilled the life and soul out of it. Some people should never be allowed to breathe from birth  :bang:

Anyways, it seems to be a really nice and heavy vice, very well made by the look of it. It's a 4" Abwood.
It all operates nice and smoothly, I have stripped it down and it seems to have had little use. No signs of any whear on the gibbs, leadscrew and nut etc.

Can it be saved?
I'm thinking strip it down, machine out the damaged area, fit a new plate and machine that to size it situ clamped on the mill to replace the damaged area.

Another idea it to make some new jaw plates with a step at the bottom to sit parallels and work on?

Or am I shooting stars here?

:scratch:

Edit, I have removed the jaws and they are sitting on each side....

Darren:
Looking at this on Ebay it seems identical, or as good as

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JONES-SHIPMAN-MACHINE-VICE_W0QQitemZ290313493939QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item290313493939&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Be a shame to scrap what I have

sbwhart:
It really annoys me when I see tools abused like that all that was required was a little care.

You could certainly try machining out the bad bit and putting a mild steel plate in it, it may not take too long. It looks like someone has used it without jaws so you would have to machine the faces up square again before making new jaws, gauge plate would be the best material to make them from if you can get hold of a piece thick enough, or you could try milling up a bit of the softer centre of that halve shaft.

Good luck

Stew

Darren:
Hi Stew,

The jaws are there, I've taken them off and they are sitting on the sides of the vice.

The vice surfaces seem to be ok, thankfully, but it will need new jaws made up.

Gauge plate, how hard is that to machine?

sbwhart:
Darren

Its not too bad, its the flat version of silver steel, just a bit tougher than your run of the mill mild steel just take smaller cut and use coolant if you've got it. Those halve shafts will be good tough steel, but don't use the hard outer skin machine that away first in your lathe, than mill you jaws out of the middle bit of its big enough.

The working bit of the vice is under the moving jaw so as long as thats not to damaged it should work OK what you need is to replace the damaged surface with something flat so you can work with parallels, just mill the bad bit out and insert a bit of mild steel held in place with some counter sunk cap screws than skim it up level, should be ok  :thumbup:

Cheers

Stew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version