Author Topic: bushes and stuff.  (Read 15223 times)

Offline kayzed1

bushes and stuff.
« on: May 17, 2016, 03:54:28 PM »
hi all, i am after a bit of help from those in the NO...
I have a mate who wants to do up his old car ( the first car he ever bought and he found it on Ebay ) so he just had to have it.
It is and old Nissan ( Datsun ) in those days, it needs lots of rubber bushes and things like engine/gearbox mounts, all of these
are ( were ) ruberlastic type things, they have fallen to bits and are no-longer available. SO, can these be recast and if so what
with and where from?   Regards.  Lyn.
PS: i told him i would ask on here because some one will have already done it i said. :smart:

Offline Swarfing

Re: bushes and stuff.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 04:11:12 PM »
Good thing about nissans is they reuse a lot of tech across their cars. Just measure said bushes and order against size not car.
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 04:41:18 PM »
From what i can gather it is an import that was never sold outside Japan, even the Datsun/Nissan club lads can not find a match...
I thought i remembered from my yuff :coffee: some one sold a kit to make new bushes...but i just will not return to the single grey cell :doh:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 04:48:19 PM »
Polyurethane always used to be the rage for Land Rover bush replacements. Not heard of home made ones, but Alec Tiranti of Reading used to sell kits of various moulding plastics and resins

http://www.tiranti.co.uk/
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PK

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 05:21:27 PM »
Yes, polyurethane is the go. Quite easy to work with if you buy small qtys at a time (it tends to soak up moisture when left on the shelf). You can get it in all sorts of hardness'
PK

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 06:25:40 PM »
I've owned a few imports including a couple of Nissan Largo's and a Toyota Levin. Things like drop link and anti roll bar bushes are pretty standard patterns. In fact most of this stuff used to be made in Avon for all car manufactures.

Just look on ebay for what looks like what you want and ask the dealer if they have what you need in the size you want. Having cars where manuals are few and far between is hard work when it comes to fixing. it would help If we knew what parts specifically you need? what car it's for? Most parts for Nissan interchange on the old Bluebird with the more modern Primera. The KDE engine for example is one of the most world wide sold engines to other car manufacturers.

Once in hole stop digging.

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 07:17:01 PM »
Thanks all, i will ask the lad to get more info.
Lyn.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 08:29:53 PM »
Polyurethane always used to be the rage for Land Rover bush replacements. Not heard of home made ones, but Alec Tiranti of Reading used to sell kits of various moulding plastics and resins

http://www.tiranti.co.uk/

I have turned quite a number of polyurethane rubber bushes for suspension components.

It requires really sharp knife tool and a fairly high rotational speed for a decent finish but it can also be size finished in the lathe very effectively using a rotary tool and a sanding band.

One source of polyurethane that has about the perfect shore hardness is used/fired rubber bullet baton rounds.

See photo in link. The polyurethane projectile is the long brown object in the sectional view shown.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rubber+bullet+baton+round&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSvsaFruLMAhXL0hoKHTNQCaEQ_AUICCgC&biw=1440&bih=773#imgrc=uKEgqs3R7Sm58M%3A

OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 08:10:09 AM »
A little more info: Polyurethane is available to purchase in solid rod and tube forms of various sizes and shore hardness. See further down the linked page for rod and tube options.

Link:  http://www.par-group.co.uk/rubber-and-polyurethane/polyurethane-engineering/polyurethane-sheet-and-rod/

OZ.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 08:34:34 AM »
Kayzed1,

You don't say which model the car is .

Dave.

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 07:46:42 PM »
Once again thanks for all the replies, i do not have a clue what model it is. I am still awaiting more info...I will try and get as much detail as i can.
lyn.

Offline Joules

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 06:44:40 AM »
So even riots have a silver lining  :bugeye:
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 06:53:49 AM »
So even riots have a silver lining  :bugeye:

:lol: :lol: Joules, I got a dozen of them from a chap who shoots on a police practice range when he needed some peculiar sized poly bushings making up. I still have half of them left over.

They also make excellent file handles....OZ.

Offline Joules

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 07:10:30 AM »
Excellent, I need some file handles.   Excuse me guys, I'm just plasma cutting my "Ned Kelly" outfit.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 04:59:53 PM »
Watch the movie it shows the weak areas!   :beer:

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
[O/T] Re: bushes and stuff.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »
Excellent, I need some file handles.   Excuse me guys, I'm just plasma cutting my "Ned Kelly" outfit.

Problem is now they would probably "taser" you and I'm not sure if Ned's partial suit of armour would be an effective Faraday cage?

:zap:

Dave

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 11:09:11 AM »
Well it would be cool to watch using rubber bullets!  Are you up for a reenactment you can burn my bills if you want!  :D

Offline Jonny

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 04:46:09 PM »
Wouldn't mind knowing the shore of Powerflex purple, seem just about right. Guessing 70 - 80 shore.
Had poly bushes from others and don't last 12 months, most crack up and split.

Bright side poly bushes easier to fit than most rubber types, certainly when encased in a steel outer.

Offline PK

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 05:11:11 PM »
My experience with polyurethane is with casting the stuff.
You can buy the resin in shore hardness' from less than 30 up to 90 or 95.
I once re-manufactured some engine mounts for a guy by burning out the old rubber and pouring PU in around the steel bushes..

Offline joshagrady

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 06:25:29 AM »
I wonder if skateboard wheels could be re-purposed for the task.  I have no idea as to the material or the specifications, but they're easily acquired, and not very expensive, I'd think.

Offline daGrouch

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 07:35:17 PM »
A popular method I have seen for motor mounts is using 3M Window-weld urethane.  Position the parts, squirt in the goo, let dry and trim.
I was thinking that stuff might work for making custom electric motor vibration isolators, etc.

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 04:18:17 PM »
Sorry for the long delay in getting a reply chaps, all done, i bought Poly stuff in 85 shore. The things were delivered to me still in the trailing arms and steel cased.. so i pressed them out, two sizes in each arm. One outer was split so i made a new one the centre tubes protruded 5mm each side so i drilled a hole in a flat lump of plastic and wrapped it in cling film stuff the tube into it ( 5mm thick ). I made a holder to fix the outer into position and mixed and pored all went well. They are now on the car and his mate in London is sending up his arms now.. :doh: thanks again for all the info. PS: i still do not have a clue what car they are from :scratch:
Lyn.