Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Elmers #25, my first engine project

<< < (2/20) > >>

sbwhart:

--- Quote from: spuddevans on May 09, 2009, 02:49:32 PM ---

The plans say it should run on 5-10psi, so I should be ok as my compressor will put out 115 psi  :bugeye: "Oh yes, it wiill run!!"

Tim

--- End quote ---

At 115 psi it'll take off  :lol:

Stew

spuddevans:

--- Quote from: bogstandard on May 09, 2009, 02:50:48 PM ---Tim,

I thought you were an absolute beginner.

Methinks you are telling a few porkies. Some of the techniques and clamping procedures you used are usually the sign of someone with some experience behind them.

--- End quote ---

I'm not far off being a total newbie, my sum total metalworking experience is made up of making a very crude version of a ball turner, and then making this,

for my better half's mobility scooter to give better illumination. ( i figured on some browney points for doing my first project for my better half :med: )That took me about 2-3 months and was mostly lathe-work and just finished it this week.

As to the clamping methods and any other techniques I use, I must confess to stealing borrowing them from others such as yourself who do so many wonderful writeups. I have been avidly studying this and the other forum and every other machining website for at least 12 months before I got a workshop set up. I like to read how others do things and try to emulate them.

My only other experience is with woodturning, I've been turning wood for about 7-8 years, but as I've found out, wood is a completely different kettle of fish.

Tim

Darren:
In that case I feel you are going to become a very competent metal basher cos that's some good work you are turning out there  :thumbup:

Divided he ad:
Nice start Tim  :thumbup:
So how do you turn a kettle of fish with out losing the water and the fish?   :lol:

Wood turning... Now there's a missing section in the postings..... When you're ready  :whip:   :ddb: 

There is a little secwet about some of those engines.... Look at many of the plans and you will see that some of them share parts, frames, cylinders etc.... Good thing to bear in mind if you think about making some as gifts etc?

My #16  uses the same frame and cylinder ... Just the holes differ  :thumbup:

Those lights look interesting.... A couple of pictures in the relevant section of the forum "Gallery" perhaps?

--- Quote ---As to the clamping methods and any other techniques I use, I must confess to stealing borrowing them from others such as yourself who do so many wonderful writeups. I have been avidly studying this and the other forum and every other machining website for at least 12 months before I got a workshop set up. I like to read how others do things and try to emulate them.
--- End quote ---
That's why most of us are here Tim  :thumbup:  I've picked up loads of info over the last year.... Forums that are nice to be a part of really help you get things made  :nrocks:

Looking forward to the running vid'  :thumbup:   (I like the Bond ref' too  :lol: )

Ralph.

spuddevans:

--- Quote from: Divided he ad on May 09, 2009, 04:02:33 PM ---So how do you turn a kettle of fish with out losing the water and the fish?

--- End quote ---
The problem is not the turning, once the kettle's turning centrifugal force holds the fish in.  :lol: The challenge comes in trying to get it started. You have to turn your lathe 90degrees to be in the upright postion, start it and then carefully return it to the normal position to turn.  :zap:

I'll have to take a few more pics of the lights, I didn't take any "in progress" pics, but I'll take some "after progress" pics and make a post in the right section.

Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version