Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Elmers #25, my first engine project

(1/20) > >>

spuddevans:
Well after being advised to try a simple wobbler engine as my 1st project I've decided on Elmers #25. The fun part has been converting the imperial to metric measurements  :smart:  :coffee:  :scratch:  :bang:

So I dug up a little slab of 6mm ali plate and hacked off a piece approx the size I needed. Then came the 1st issue to overcome, as the biggest milling cutter I have at present is 6mm I felt it was unwise to size the frame piece in one pass. So I took off my milling vice and decided to clamp the frame to the top of a 3-2-1 block that was squared up to the table, and use the side of my 4 flute mill to size.

Once sized up I then marked up for drilling,

After boring all the holes I tapped the intake M4, I ment to tap it M3 but messed up the drilling  :doh: so I had to enlarge to M4 as I dont have a M3.5 tap.

So after drilling and tapping all the relevent holes the frame was done, or at least it was machined, I have to clean it up and polish it up a bit.

I then moved on to the cylinder. I had a piece of 19mm square brass bar. This presented a new challenge, I dont have a fly cutter or a milling cutter over 6mm. So how can I machine this 19mm square bar to 17mm x 15mm, and get a reasonable finish?

Up steps the 4 jaw chuck.

I remember reading somewhere about how to turn a cube using a lathe, and I just stole borrowed the idea, and what do you know, it worked!! :clap: :clap:

So I now have the cylinder blank sized and ready to bore, and that's as far as I got.

However, in the process of sizing on the lathe I found out that getting a nice finish relies on smooth advancement of the cross-slide. ( yea, I know that you all know this, but it was new to me ) I found a bit of a cheats way of taking the monotony out of winding it back and forth, and getting a better finish. I just attached my cordless drill to the capscrew holding the handle on the cross-slide and just ran it on a low speed. Got a far better finish than I could've got otherwise. You just have to be careful to keep the drill in line as best as poss.

Anyway, that's the 1st part of my little adventure into building a wobbler, stay tuned for irregular updates   :lol:

Tim

spuddevans:
Oops, forgot to post a pic of the completed (but desperately needing cleaning up) frame and the prepared cylinder blank. :doh:

Tim

ps, if you want to see larger versions of the pics click www.velvet-art.co.uk/elmers

sbwhart:
Well done Tim

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great use of the old 1*2*3 blocks and like the drill power feed.

I can tell already this engine will be a runner.

Stew

spuddevans:
Thanks Stew, I have to say that I'm barely started on this and I am completely hooked  :beer:

--- Quote from: sbwhart on May 09, 2009, 02:39:58 PM ---I can tell already this engine will be a runner.

--- End quote ---

(Strokes white cat in a very Bond-bad-guy-esque style) "It will run, oh yes, it will run". Even if I have to make and then re-make every single part several times, I'm determined to make it run.

The plans say it should run on 5-10psi, so I should be ok as my compressor will put out 115 psi  :bugeye: "Oh yes, it wiill run!!"

Tim

bogstandard:
Tim,

I thought you were an absolute beginner.

Methinks you are telling a few porkies. Some of the techniques and clamping procedures you used are usually the sign of someone with some experience behind them.

Very nicely done, using techniques on a lathe, to obtain what really should have been done on a mill for ease of making.

Bogs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version