Author Topic: Do Myford make lathes  (Read 3905 times)

Offline appletree

Do Myford make lathes
« on: April 26, 2016, 03:34:40 PM »
Does anyone know the direction of Myford (RDG)? Do they or are they intending to make Lathes?
Seem to market both old and new items.

Offline John Rudd

Re: Do Myford make lathes
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 05:01:57 PM »
I thought it was rumoured that RDG had set up a company using the Myford name and were to make new machines?
Maybe send them an email and ask?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline appletree

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 03:01:23 AM »
Hi I don,t actually want to buy one, just wondered as there are some spares you might want which they don’t market but would be needed tomato complete new lathes.
Phil

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 05:37:58 PM »
Drop them an e mail. I know the original intention was to have them made elsewhere and shipped in. However RDG have rejected some "boxford" compatible parts as "not upto our standard", so unless the QC is good they won't go ahead with it.
 Good people to deal with  (usual disclaimer- no connections personally  I've only bought from and discussed issues with all of which have been rapidly and happily sorted) :clap:

Offline nrml

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 07:28:25 AM »
It would be very difficult to make and sell a new manual lathe that could compete with Chinese imports. I don't think the number of hobbyists willing to pay a premium for a quality new product are many especially when there are so many professional grade machines on the second hand market for those not keen on a new Chinese machine. The professional / educational market would be very hard for a new player to break into. I would be very surprised to see a new Myford manual lathe.
Perhaps there might be a hobby CNC Myford lathe in future when home CNC lathes become more mainstream in the hobby market. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one.

Offline Joules

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 08:53:20 AM »
The Chinese will have long nailed the CNC hobby market, before an RDG Myford appeared.  I love my old Myford, but for the money I can buy alot of Chinese metal, and that would be my way if the time comes   :(
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.