Author Topic: Following 'Bogstandard'!  (Read 15320 times)

Offline TFL45

• Model Steam Engine Construction - Novice
Following 'Bogstandard'!
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:23:49 PM »
Since I posted to a thread, figure an intro is in order. Retired military with no prior machining experience. Main interest is in model steam engines. Started with a couple of simple 'wobblers' (a-la Mamod), then machined several casting kits (a Stuart S50 and a PM Research 1BI) using a Taig lathe. In between, assembled a couple of kits from Graham Industries. On a steep learning curve but so far, conversion of good steel and brass into filings has not been in vain - all have been runners, at least on air! (We won't get into discussion of the time taken, though! :bang:)

First ran across Bogstandard when he was completing his instructional engine build on the Paddleducks forum. So impressed with his efforts that I compiled all his posts - and any pertinent comments - into a series of PDF files for uploading to the PD fourm. Pleased to see that other folk are taking advantage of them. (Although I must confess, John, that I haven't got up the courage to tackle the build myself.)

Got the steer to this forum by the owner of the engine that 'Bogstandard' is currently restoring. The owner caught sight of one of my videos on YouTube and thought I  :scratch: might be able to give him some tips as he assembled a GI kit. When I in turn commented on the steam launch in one of his videos, he told me the story of the restoration. Small world, indeed! But if I'd known he had access to John's knowledge, I would have headed for the exit! :coffee:

Given my marginal skill and knowledge level, information flow likely to be minimal but will be an interested observer, nonetheless.

Cheers,  Floyd
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:39:46 PM by TFL45 »
TFL45

There's no need to be precise if you don't know what you're talking about!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Following 'Bogstandard'!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:32:14 PM »
Hi Floyd,

Welcome to the collective  :borg: John is a great person to follow.

Skill and knowledge are not required to give opinions, encouragement and ideas. So, feel free to post as well as absorbing info. 

How about some pictures of the steamers you have built?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline TFL45

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 08:58:38 PM »
Eric,

Thanks for the welcome. Does that mean that resistance is futile?  :wave:

Will put together a still-image collage of my modest efforts. However, have videos on YouTube under TFL1945, with apologies in advance for the videography (more than one learning curve in play here!).

Cheers

Floyd
TFL45

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 12:51:03 AM »
Floyd,

You must excuse me for not recognising you.  :doh:

You are my hero.

You disappeared from view just after you finished compiling the book, and my having a bit of bad health since then, things get pushed into the background and forgotten about. But I did keep mentioning a person called Floyd, whenever someone said that they enjoyed the 'book'.

You can now take full credit for compiling the 'book', and gratitude from the many thousands of people who must have read and enjoyed it by now. Without your doing, it would have sat on the shelves of Paddleducks forum, just gathering dust. It was you who transformed it into a mobile reference work, and has been read all over the world.
Maybe we should have put it into print and made ourselves a bit of pocket money.

But on the other hand, giving enjoyment is worth a lot more than cash in the pocket.

I am sure you will get a very good heros' welcome, plus experience holds no weight here, it is the trying and taking part that score brownie points. From little snippits or comments to full blown articles, the members appreciate every bit of it.

You'll do.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 01:09:38 AM »
Welcome Aboard Floyd

And a big thank you for putting together the paddleducks book I've read it from cover to cover.

This is a fun place to be so please join in with the questions and answers and the leg pulling

Have fun  :lol:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 02:35:00 AM »
HEYA! Welcome to the forum!!  I was away for a few weeks, and am getting caught up!  Sorry for the delay!

Scott
 :nrocks:
SPiN Racing

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 04:13:24 AM »
Welcome Floyd,

The book is excellent and it's thanks to you both that I am currently building this engine...

Look forward to more of your posts detailing your engines  :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 12:32:42 PM »
Welcome Floyd,

What can I say that hasn't already been said. Other than we also take in subjects other steam engines also. Nothing is  :offtopic: here.

Now that you have been assimilated to the collective, resistance is futile. :borg:

I also have downloaded the book. I discovered after Bogs gave me a hint were to find it. It is the most entertaining manual I've ever read on how to build an engine. Thank you for putting it in book form.

Regards,
bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 04:08:28 PM »
Hey Floyd  :wave:  Nice to have another "willing to say hi" member  :thumbup:

Skill...Knowledge!! You have some if you've turned bits of metal into smaller bits, and engines that run no less!!  :dremel:

I only have what I've figured out and scrounged out of forums and Johns head  :smart:   :D

Just join in....   :ddb: 

Post all the piccys you want and tell us your opinion on most anything.... We don't bite, that's why   :mmr:

Wow, thats good, I like it, nice! Blimey.... Are all sayings you might just like to throw in to any number of threads  :thumbup:

Don't worry about being  :offtopic: .... I'm rarely worried about it! (as people might tell you!?)

See you around the posts.

Ralph.  :borg: 

:nrocks:
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline TFL45

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 05:57:51 PM »
Thanks all!

One of the benefits of retirement for many of us is being able to do things solely for the enjoyment of it and not worry about material compensation.

With regards to the 'book', I started by downloading John's posts for my own use - but I am easily distracted, and so the project grew quickly. John had done all the 'heavy lifting' and was providing a wealth of information that would be of great benifit to beginners like myself. I just felt it would be a shame if all that tremendous effort got 'lost' in the depths of a forum, where only the more persistent might find it. Fortunately, the Internet provides a ready medium for distribution that didn't exist year's ago.

Glad that people have found it useful - even entertaining - but all credit to John. :clap:

Now if I can only get around to following John's instructions.....   :dremel:

Floyd

TFL45

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 02:12:22 AM »
Welcome Floyd!

It`s nice `ere......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline TFL45

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 11:18:50 PM »
Hi Floyd,

Welcome to the collective  :borg: John is a great person to follow.

Skill and knowledge are not required to give opinions, encouragement and ideas. So, feel free to post as well as absorbing info. 

How about some pictures of the steamers you have built?

Eric

OK, we'll give this a try. I'll start with the only one of my own design. While simple, it was useful in acquainting me with some of the principles involved with these machines. It also allowed me to build something with basic hand tools without having to invest in a lathe, etc. Given that it worked - at least to my satisfaction - I decided to dip my foot in a little deeper.

Floyd

TFL45

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 08:31:44 AM »
Floyd,

Nice job for just using hand tools. Looks like you'd be a force to reckoned with if you had machine tools such as a lathe and mill.  :)

Bernd

Offline TFL45

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 06:55:25 PM »
Here is the first of my machined efforts, the Stuart S50, produced using the Taig lathe. Stuart advertises the S50 as being a good 'beginner' project, and since I was a beginner ....

Not yet run on steam but spins nicely on air.

TFL45

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 07:48:20 PM »
Floyd,

Hard to believe that beautiful model was done on a Taig. Nice job.

Bernd

Offline TFL45

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »
Thanks Bernd!

I found out that a goodly portion of the machining effort is figuring out how to hold the castings in the chuck, vice or whatever in order to carry out the required operations. Without a milling machine, using the vertical vice has its limitations.

The PM Research 1BI, being a bit larger than the Stuart, posed more of a challenge, and is probably about the limit for the Taig. In fact, the model I produced is not a faithfull representation of the kit, as I couldn't machine the kit's 6.5" flywheel on the Taig, even with the optional risers. As a consequence, I sustituted two smaller flywheels! Suspect this limits the engine's tick-over RPM ability but it runs happily at it's design RPM (Again, only on air; no steam yet.)

Anyway, here's what turned out.

Floyd
TFL45

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 12:20:33 PM »
Hi Floyd

Very nice engine  :clap: :clap: :clap: I bet you were tickled pink when you got it running.

Have Fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 02:18:52 PM »
Nice work Floyd. Turned out nice and you have a unique engine to boot because of the flywheels.

Bernd

Offline TFL45

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 11:49:33 PM »
Came across Ralph's excellent tutorial on posting pictures, so I'll give that a try for the last of my pics. Was scratching my head  :scratch: over how to do it - thanks Ralph. :thumbup:

These are two Graham Industries machined kits.  Admitedly not as much of a challenge as cast kits but certainly a much faster route to the end result. :beer:

The first is the VR1A, with Stephenson reversing linkage.

The second is the TVR1A, with Hackworth reversing linkage. The only addition of my own making is a U-joint, should I decide to make this engine work for its keep!

That's it for while. Thanks for looking. :wave:

Floyd

TFL45

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 06:13:12 AM »
Very nice work Floyd  :thumbup:

CC

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 09:07:27 AM »
Well done, that man  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Some lovely work there.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 09:13:28 AM »
Well Floyd after seeing those last two pieces of work I think the collective  :borg: will let you stay.   :lol:

Very nicely done. I like the flywheel on the second picture.

Bernd

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 10:10:10 AM »
Nice,  :headbang:

I like the notches...  :)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline TFL45

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 03:51:51 PM »
Oops - sorry folks!   :(  Guess I should have been a bit clearer.  :doh:

The Graham Industries kits come already machined, so I can take little credit for the outcome - other than following the detailed instructions for their assembly. Like to be able to claim otherwise but just ain't so!  :hammer:

Floyd 
TFL45

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 08:11:05 PM »
Glad you liked the pic' post Floyd  :thumbup:

The two engines you posted last, al be it pre-machined are nice looking..... Are you going to attempt to make similar from bar stock?

You might want to think about posting some of your engines in the gallery? They might not get seen here.... I suppose a nice Mod' might move them for you?   :poke:

I really like the red hand made engine... Do you happen to have a video of it running?

Taig lathe is the same as a peatol in this country, I have one.... Haven't really used it since I got my 9x20..... I might get it out and give it a whirl... It is a very accurate little machine :thumbup:

Glad to see you have found your feet  :ddb:

Ralph.

Offline TFL45

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 11:50:15 PM »
Ralph,

Glad you didn't beat up on me too badly! :D

Haven't had much experience posting to forums - probably extending this thread past the point of being reasonable, but since I don't have a current project on deck.... 

Hadn't thought about trying to replicate the GI engines but if I'm going to try one from scratch, figure I have better chance with John's Paddleduck engine.

Have videos of most of my efforts on YouTube under TFL1945. However, if you want something a little different, try this link:
http://www.universaloscillation.com/youcube/?633

Spin the cube with your mouse and you'll find the dual oscillator in there somewhere!

Floyd
TFL45

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2009, 04:51:39 AM »

Haven't had much experience posting to forums - probably extending this thread past the point of being reasonable,

Carry on Floyd, that's what a forum is for, chatting  :thumbup:

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009, 07:55:24 AM »
I wasn't having a go Floyd.... Just saying that eventually your posts of your early works might get lost in the introductions section.... In the galley they would be found on a more regular basis! .... The  :poke: was for a mod' to see  :thumbup:

No issues about work on the go.... It won't be long and you'll be somewhat like the rest of us.... Too many things on the go!!  :proj:

Now, that cube thing is annoying..... I'm going to have the dedicate time to making one myself now  :lol: .... Very entertaining  :ddb:
That engine runs really well....(In fact they all do!) And without a lathe/mill.... Very nice peice of work  :dremel:

Just a little note to end with....Yes, forums are for chatting.... That's why you find me here a lot!  I try very hard not to beat people up, I don't think I've ever had an issue in any of my posts?  most of my comments are meant to aid and or be fun,  all be it in my own style that is a bit, well.... Odd!   ::)

Still as said.... You do look as though your enjoying the place  :thumbup:   :nrocks:

Ralph.