The Shop > Software Tools

Phone Apps in the workshop

(1/4) > >>

SwarfnStuff:
Thought it might be a useful exercise to ask the group what phone apps do you find useful in the workshop?
      In my case the phone often gets used as a calculator and as such I have the standard Android calc that came with the phone plus another two.
    "CalcTape" which keeps a 'paper' record you can scroll back to check whether you goofed or not. (Why else would you scroll back?) Then there is "MobiCalc" that keeps a history with the date and time of the calculation. The choice of calculator depends on what I am trying to solve.   :smart:
      Next there are conversion apps of which I again have two, "Bosch Converter" and "Convert This" both useful and cover a useful range.
     Followed by "Easy Geometry" that has functions I will probably never fully explore. Or "Triangle Calculator" that as it says just does triangle calculations. Saves recalling what SOH,CAH,TOA stands for although I think I still can if I have to.
     "Spirit Level" does get used sometimes although with a digital inclinometer not so much.
      I have yet to find a threading app that is not imperial based where I decided long ago to do all my stuff in metric. To that end I use a paper chart  printed off the net.

Seems I download two that take my fancy thinking I will try them and decide which to dump but just seem to collect the things. :palm:

Now I'm sure there are other apps others find useful so it's over to you lot to toss em in the ring.
   John B

awemawson:
The most useful 'ap' on my phone, and it's not actually an ap at all, is the camera.

Always handy to note details, or look at things in dark corners or round the back of things.

I have a units converter that gets used frequently, and also a flashlight. I suppose the map is also pretty useful. I've got the entire UK Ordenance Survey 1:25000 series on it, and the more detailed version of the local area.

Being able to record sheep tag numbers in the Notes facility is handy when pen and paper are no use due to wind or rain, but that's not in the workshop hopefully !

John Rudd:
Yuri's dro app

I'm busy with making up the hardware interface to take the output of three scales to be read by the interface and using the app on an Android tablet to display the readings....

I hope to provide the constructional details when its complete.....

Joules:
Led flashlight, calc, camera and notes for machining sequences.  Sometimes stopwatch as I try lean manufacturing, though I tend to nod off if I lean too long.  So guess the alarm is also useful.

Dedicated old tablet for Yuri's DRO, but I haven't built all the DRO yet....  Too much leaning.

George Konstantinidis:
Dont forget the FSwizard by zero divide for calculating feeds and speeds

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version