Author Topic: Phone Apps in the workshop  (Read 13351 times)

Offline SwarfnStuff

Phone Apps in the workshop
« on: February 18, 2016, 02:04:27 AM »
Thought it might be a useful exercise to ask the group what phone apps do you find useful in the workshop?
      In my case the phone often gets used as a calculator and as such I have the standard Android calc that came with the phone plus another two.
    "CalcTape" which keeps a 'paper' record you can scroll back to check whether you goofed or not. (Why else would you scroll back?) Then there is "MobiCalc" that keeps a history with the date and time of the calculation. The choice of calculator depends on what I am trying to solve.   :smart:
      Next there are conversion apps of which I again have two, "Bosch Converter" and "Convert This" both useful and cover a useful range.
     Followed by "Easy Geometry" that has functions I will probably never fully explore. Or "Triangle Calculator" that as it says just does triangle calculations. Saves recalling what SOH,CAH,TOA stands for although I think I still can if I have to.
     "Spirit Level" does get used sometimes although with a digital inclinometer not so much.
      I have yet to find a threading app that is not imperial based where I decided long ago to do all my stuff in metric. To that end I use a paper chart  printed off the net.

Seems I download two that take my fancy thinking I will try them and decide which to dump but just seem to collect the things. :palm:

Now I'm sure there are other apps others find useful so it's over to you lot to toss em in the ring.
   John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Phone Apps in the workshop
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 02:30:34 AM »
The most useful 'ap' on my phone, and it's not actually an ap at all, is the camera.

Always handy to note details, or look at things in dark corners or round the back of things.

I have a units converter that gets used frequently, and also a flashlight. I suppose the map is also pretty useful. I've got the entire UK Ordenance Survey 1:25000 series on it, and the more detailed version of the local area.

Being able to record sheep tag numbers in the Notes facility is handy when pen and paper are no use due to wind or rain, but that's not in the workshop hopefully !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 03:22:48 AM »
Yuri's dro app

I'm busy with making up the hardware interface to take the output of three scales to be read by the interface and using the app on an Android tablet to display the readings....

I hope to provide the constructional details when its complete.....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Joules

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 04:33:07 AM »
Led flashlight, calc, camera and notes for machining sequences.  Sometimes stopwatch as I try lean manufacturing, though I tend to nod off if I lean too long.  So guess the alarm is also useful.

Dedicated old tablet for Yuri's DRO, but I haven't built all the DRO yet....  Too much leaning.

Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline George Konstantinidis

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 06:19:44 AM »
Dont forget the FSwizard by zero divide for calculating feeds and speeds

Online shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »
camera for pictures, everycircuit for working out electronics and flashscore for checking rugby results  :lol:
ooh forgot tapatalk and browser.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 05:22:14 PM »
Nuts & Bolts Pro for bolt/shcs, etc sizes, taps, clearance holes

Offline sparky961

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 07:20:54 PM »
ESFileExplorer - To make my phone into a pocket computer (file transfer over WIFI, management, etc)

RealCalc - 'Cause I can't stand the useless Android calculator

CNCTools - Used primarily to calculate RPM from SFM & diameter (probably easier just to memorize the formula, eh?)  It does more than that too.

TapDrillTool (Free) - Tells you the nearest drill for an astounding number of thread pitch and diameter combinations, plus giving you 50 to 80 percent thread options.  The UI isn't the greatest in my opinion but the usefulness makes up for it.

Kijiji - Where do you think I find those old neglected machines I sometimes fix up?  There's nothing better when you're sitting waiting for a fly cutter to finish up a few inches of almost mirror finish.

Offline RussellT

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 04:45:58 AM »
Slightly off topic but does anyone else have that stupid Android calculator which has sin cos and tan but not arc sin cos or tan.

Army knife has quite a few of the functions that people have mentioned - calculator, units converter, spirit level.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline CrazyModder

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 01:24:07 PM »
Yuri's DRO as well. My solution is up and running on the mill (at least x+y, not z yet), and it works well. Sadly, the only bad thing about it that the readouts I am using (which are made for being mounted to a machine, not some chopped-off $5 DROs) is that the dirty motor of the mill obviously EMV-shocks them so badly while switching on that they forget their current position, which means I have to be careful about always noting the "real" position of the axes whenever turning the machine off, in case it forgets while turning on.
 :doh:

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 01:30:21 AM »
Thanks for the interest in this topic, it seems we have a general dislike of the Android Calculator but there are heaps of calcs in app land and I'm sure we can all find one that does most of what we want.
  Andrew, you obviously have a better camera on your phone than mine - Useless on close up no matter which way I hold my mouth. And I do hope you don't have sheep on your shop. (Well not too often.)
  John R and CrazyMod That's a use I have not heard of before but I reckon there are thousands I have not heard about.
   Joules, I guess you need the volume well up then? zzzz :(
Komatias, I have heard of FS wiz in conjunction with CNC which I don't have.
  Shipto, really? wanting to know what grown men chasing a bag of air around a paddock call a score? But then they sure get paid well for not stepping in something. He he.   :lol:
  Sparky, I downloaded TapDrillTool for a play with. But, being me I will probably just reach for the printed chart I have used for yonks. Kijiji, a bit far to travel from OZ,
  RussellT No, not off topic at all, we are talking phone apps that we find usefull - or otherwise. Army Knife app looks worth a download and play with too.
Thanks all, lets see where this goes next.  :coffee:
John B

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 02:28:16 AM »
iPhone 6s so 12 mega pixel camera.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 03:30:08 AM »
iPhone 6s so 12 mega pixel camera.

Flash Bastard........................................
John Stevenson

Offline Joules

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 04:36:40 AM »
John, I can't find that on the App store ???

Some course file for cleaning up moulded parts ?
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Online shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 05:20:30 PM »

Shipto, really? wanting to know what grown men chasing a bag of air around a paddock call a score? But then they sure get paid well for not stepping in something. He he.   :lol:

John B
Could be worse I could follow football  :loco: higher paid prima donna grown men chasing a bag of air with a emergency hairdresser on standby  :lol:
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

RobWilson

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »
Greggs app it's a must :thumbup:

Rob

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 12:29:14 AM »
John, I can't find that on the App store ???
  Hi Joules, In the words of one of our short term politicians "Please Explain?" That is you can't find what on the App store? I was referring to your nodding off and that you might need the alarm volume turned up.
  Not to worry I'm often confused.  :scratch:
Currently messing about attempting to make a Coffee cup size Stirling using a Ross yoke without build plans, so a lot of head scratching and tooth sucking happening. So far I have not done anything that needed re-making. Yeah!  :clap:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 04:37:59 AM »
Very recently been using Hairspring in place of a £200 watch beat timing machine! I'm sure it isn't as accurate as the real deal but for 69p it gets your watches running way more accurately than without!!