Author Topic: Homebrew engraver to 3D printer Mod  (Read 31968 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Homebrew engraver to 3D printer Mod
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2020, 04:04:00 PM »
I wish I could help Bill... I have gotten to the point of where I am going to pull the SKR board with Marlin and go with a Duet 2 board instead. Marlin frustrates the crap out of me.
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2020, 04:20:15 AM »
Frustrating yes.

I'm torn between muddling on with the current setup and making a completely new machine or buying a saturn resin printer when /If they become available.

I don't use the thing often but it is bloody handy to have a 3d printer And I still want to make a better version of the Tower engine.

Bill

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2020, 04:49:05 AM »
Why is it failing to touch down?

Is it starting too high, then slowly lowering but never making it to the bed.... or is it just not lowering at all? (the Z-height, I mean, not the probe, which you say does deploy).

If it's the first one, there are some variables in the EEPROM which control the start height & max drop when executing a probe command; my thinking is, it must be one of those which needs tweaking.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2020, 10:07:37 AM »
It's already touched off to find Z=0 . It moves to the first position, lower/left, at about 15mm above the bed lowers slowly at first touch speed, but doesn't seem to quite go far enough to get the sensor to flip up .

I'm sure all the hardware is ok as I had this auto-levelling sequence working in 1.1.19 just fine (and it touches to home ok ) 

As you say there must be a separate  set of param's for the levelling but buggered if i can find them...

Oh and another thing , I get an annoying glitching of the display (reprap full graphic) that didn't happen under earlier version of U8glib  - how do I choose which version of the driver is used ?
Bill

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2020, 05:47:15 AM »
It's already touched off to find Z=0 . It moves to the first position, lower/left, at about 15mm above the bed lowers slowly at first touch speed, but doesn't seem to quite go far enough to get the sensor to flip up .

I'm sure all the hardware is ok as I had this auto-levelling sequence working in 1.1.19 just fine (and it touches to home ok ) 

As you say there must be a separate  set of param's for the levelling but buggered if i can find them...

I've bought, but not yet installed, a BL Touch for my Ender 3. So far, all I've found is the probe offset stuff... which sounds like it's right for you. I'll keep looking -- the probe looks like it works differently on 3d printers compared to my CNC3018, which has all the probe parameters sent as G-code.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2020, 10:18:28 AM »
Thanks.

Just tried UBL with a 3 x 3 mesh and...

Zilch

My probe off-set is -5.4 which homes perfectly to 0.00 at bed centre.

G29 P1 T prints a nice couple of  nice 'maps'  with only the home position dimensioned at -4.995  then  stops at the second  2/9  spot with [ ] and prints ok as if finished

If I try to use the LCD and spinwheel : It lowers the Z to 0.000 which is actually about 3mm about the bed , after winding the knob down 3000 um (WFT is the res so fine?)  on each of the nine positions the F*********** starts over again and get caught in a loop : :doh:

Tried again with a 3x4 mesh and got two measurements (apparently , iit does not probe points it cannot get to - whatever that means) , third try with 5x7 mesh...

Bill

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2020, 12:25:37 PM »
OK I kinda see wahts happening here, although the Z height thing is confusing.

It is missing all points on the periphery because they are inaccessible (must be something to do with probe off-set but????)

My 5x7 resulted in:

(  5,235)                      (115,235)
        0       1       2       3       4     
 6 |   .       .       .       .       .   
   |
 5 |   .     -4.950  -4.980 [-4.965]   .   
   |
 4 |   .     -4.945  -4.995  -4.990    .   
   |
 3 |   .     -4.945  -4.915  -4.985    .   
   |
 2 |   .     -4.980  -4.955  -4.880    .   
   |
 1 |   .     -4.995  -4.990  -4.980    .   
   |
 0 |   .       .       .       .       .   
        0       1       2       3       4     
    (  5,  5)                      (115,  5)

which looks consistent, but I don't think it actually touched down on any of those points . Aha It drops close to bed with probe retracted and them extends probe to test , then does a proper touch later.

I do not understand why the reference is about -5,although I believe I set the min_Z to -5.0.

The Z homes to +5.4 and BED top is actually Z=0.00   

Bill