Home Base > Introductions

Hi there from yet another newbie

(1/4) > >>

spuddevans:
Hello there, I found this forum from a link over on HMEM where I've been mostly lurking for the last year. I am a relative newbie at engineering, I have a Seig x2 mini-mill and a Seig C2 mini-lathe which I'm just about getting used to.

I haven't made much yet, I've just been "playing" with the lathe and mill to try and get a handle on this engineering lark. I've made a couple of machine mods, a gas-spring-lift-thingy for the mill, a ball turner for the lathe (I need to rebuild it though). Mod's on the to-do list; Bogs vice stop, Belt-drive convertion for the mill, Brass gibs on lathe and mill, ER32 collet chuck for the lathe, fly cutter ( I dont have one yet and am scared to get one until the belt-drive mod is done as these X2 mills have fragile gears ), and then everything else I see on here and HMEM!!

I've downloaded and printed out Bogstandards "Paddleducks" engine plan book, and am gathering up some supplies to try my hand at my 1st real project. I dont know if I'm biting off more than I could chew but I'm thinking of adding ball-bearings to the bearing blocks for the crankshaft. I'm hoping to build it out of mainly brass and 303 stainless, hopefully it'll make a nice contrast of metals.

I'm hoping to get my belt-drive convertion done before starting the Paddleducks engine so I can use a fly cutter to prepare the stock.

Anyway, that's all I can think to say apart from thanks for having me, and while I am not the most frequent poster (as I have no experience yet and havent started any real projects) I hope to be able to share my learning experiences and gain from the collective wealth of experience and wisdom here.

Tim

raynerd:
Hello and welcome from another newbie on here! Haven`t got a mill yet and the X2 looks excellent value... hummm interesting. I`m sure you`ll find everyone on here very helpful and firendly!

Chris

Brass_Machine:
Hi there Tim

Welcome to the collective :borg:

I have both of those machines. For the price (and a little tuning), I am very impressed with what you get.

Bogs engine I feel is a good project. Master those skills needed for the project and you will be well on your way. We look foward to a project log from you.

Eric

spuddevans:
Thanks for the welcome guys.

--- Quote from: Brass_Machine on May 03, 2009, 03:40:29 PM --- We look foward to a project log from you.

--- End quote ---
I intend to make a build log as I progress, I also plan on doing a build log on the belt-drive convertion too. I've got a 3" lump of ali on the way that I hope to hack a couple of V pulleys out of for the belt drive.

Tim

sbwhart:
Hi Tim

Welcome aboard   :headbang: sounds like you've been doing a fair bit of research, thats good  :thumbup: I think I spend three times as much time thinking  :scratch: about a project than I do actualy doing it,  :hammer: that's what makes such a great hobby.  :D

Look forward to seeing your projects progress and don't forget if your stuck on anything just ask.

Have fun

Stew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version