The Shop > Our Shop

'Living with an old Synchro' and other tales from my shed.

<< < (15/16) > >>

JohnC:
Thanks Pete,

I did just what you suggested: I undid the four screws and rotated the cover around the speed lever - job done.  Thanks again.
I have a few more questions now, though.......

I changed all the oils as per the manual.  Messy business!  Nowhere in my manual does it mention the sight glass for the headstock oil level behind the rear shear.  I only found it after I had the top cover off, by dipping the oil level to the rear of the cavity.  The gearbox oil change was fine.  But the apron....there is a filler plug and a sight glass, which was empty.  When I unscrewed it a trickle of fairly dirty oil came out.  I flushed the apron with thin oil and then refilled with ISO 68 - most of which ran out of the rear of the apron, leaving the sight glass once more empty! Am I missing a plug somewhere?

The High Speed - Low Speed change lever is temperamental - sometimes it moves smoothly and others is is a pig to shift. I know it has to align with two sets of gear teeth, but is this normal?

Many thanks again for any answers,
John

Pete.:
The high-lever will move easily when the machine is cold and be tight when the machine is warm/hot. It's a known issue, the plastic gear grows and binds on the pinion behind. The drawing was revised to make the gear 10 thou smaller to give some extra clearance bt I think the main problem is that the plastic used (some obscure stuff called Technyl A90 that you can't get any more) absorbs oil over time.

I've made a few sets of those plastic gears now for people. I made them from Delrin which is not only stronger but is very resistant to oils.

JohnC:
Thanks Pete, much appreciated!  What do you reckon to the saddle oil level?

Pete.:
I never worried about it the apron gears turn so slowly a squirt from an oil can once in a while does the job.

JohnC:
 :thumbup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version