The Shop > Our Shop

'Living with an old Synchro' and other tales from my shed.

<< < (2/16) > >>

Pete.:
If it's anything like mine you fill it up and it leaks down to the proper level :D

Really though it only needs enough to splash-feed the gears. The headstock bearings are lubed via the grease nipple behind the chuck.

AdeV:

--- Quote from: DavidA on January 03, 2016, 03:46:06 PM ---
But that black object on the top really is a plastic oil filler plug. it even  has 'oil' printed on it.

--- End quote ---

Are you sure it's not an upside down 710 cap?

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=73;t=000115;p=0

:lol:

SwarfnStuff:
Hi All,
 Just my thoughts on reading this post and I'm probably way off. Is it possible that the oil filler plug originally had a dip-stick attached?  As it seems to be toward the front edge it could possibly pass down clear of the spinning bits.
      Doesn't help with knowing the correct level unless it is lurking down among the sludge at the bottom.
  The linked page shows a really nice machine. Jolly good buy on your part David.

John B

DavidA:
Ade,
That reminds me of the time when the answer to the world's energy problems was 71077345.

(works better on a pocket calculator).

Pete,

I squirted some oil down the hole just as a precaution before running it. Better a splash of oil than no oil at all.  I'm thinking of using black molly CV joint  grease for the bearing. If it can take the loading incurred with car CV joints then it should be ok.

John,

You may be right. But I have just been looking at the manual again and it says, and I quote...

...check the oilsite levels in the headstock, gearbox and the apron and fill to correct levels...

And the accompanying drawing shows pointers to the filler plugs on all three of these places; including both top of headstock and the front of the gearbox.

I'll give Denford a ring later today and see if they can help.

I do need to remove the gearbox top to take up a bit of slack in the spindle bearing assembly. That will provide an opportunity to assess the situation.

Dave.

DMIOM:
Dave,

have you tried asking on the Denford bulletin board?    http://www.denfordata.com/bb/

Dave M

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version