Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

3D Printed Quorn Tool & Cutter Grinder

<< < (24/24)

Joules:
I can tell you all one thing...  Not a spot of rust on the Quorn, anywhere.  Hmmm 2yrs seem to have gone by.  Quite a bit happened here to push this on the backburner.   As stated at the very start it was more an adventure in 3D printing.  It proved the idea that a casting could be replaced with a well designed 3D print in light load applications.  Moving ever further from the bars with the part to be sharpened has proven to be more of an issue due to flexing in the thinner parts.  This also means resonance from the motor is an issue due to low mass and little damping.  I would like to get back to this design especially now I have more experience 3D printing rigid structures under my belt.  Just don’t hold your breath on it being soon.

The design I’m afraid won’t be made publicly available, but by all means follow my lead and put your own spin on it.

WeldingRod:
Joules,  A technique you might look at is filling the cavities with something.  The resulting composite is likely to have more damping than the plastic.  I could see pouring in really fine sand, or runny epoxy.  If you go the epoxy way, you should check the coefficient of thermal expansion and make sure its not too far from the plastic.  Otherwise, it will walk around with temperature.
I've got my own Quorn now, and I'm quite happy with my 3D printed alignment jig!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version