Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

3D Printing for Suckers

<< < (3/5) > >>

Joules:
Arbalist, I have this vague idea of making a Quorn tool and cutter grinder using 3D printed parts for the castings, but making the bearing surfaces and shafts out of metal.  Since a tool and cutter grinder is generally very lightly loaded, the printed parts should perform quite adequately.

awemawson:
Design mountings for bellows into your parts holding the bars and holder assembly , as the grinding dust otherwise will embed into the soft(ish) plastic

nrml:

--- Quote from: Joules on December 17, 2015, 01:03:06 PM ---Arbalist, I have this vague idea of making a Quorn tool and cutter grinder using 3D printed parts for the castings, but making the bearing surfaces and shafts out of metal.  Since a tool and cutter grinder is generally very lightly loaded, the printed parts should perform quite adequately.

--- End quote ---

That thought has been rattling in my head ever since Fergus mentioned it in another thread a while back. It would make a great project if someone building one could get a printed version up and running quickly and then in the long term slowly upgrade to castings if they choose to. You could have both a functioning tool and a long term project at the same time.

Joules:
Thanks Andrew, thats very true, but no intention of plastic on plastic bearings and printed parts allows labyrinth seals to try and keep the dust at bay.  I have access to the Bonnelle grinder in 3D format.  For me, not having access or finances for castings 3D printing has been a real eye opener, plus I can get a good surface finish too.  If it needs mass you can always mix sand and epoxy to use as a filler or add metal stiffeners into the design.  Development is RAPID.

Let me see if I can find a 3D model of the Quorn  Might be worth the effort to do a 3D printable model if others are interested.

efrench:
Here's a model: https://grabcad.com/library/bonelle-tool-and-cutter-grinder

Have you tried printing with nylon or POM (Delrin)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version