Home Base > Introductions

Better late than never.

(1/4) > >>

websterz:
Sorry I am just now getting around to my intro post. I am the type who just jumps in and gets busy...sorry to have overlooked this courtesy.

My name is Todd. I go by websterz on most forums, people usually call me webs or webby. I am a 40 year old married father of one, a beautiful 8 year old young lady named Jessica. My wife Angela is a teacher. I am a machinist by trade, conventional lathes, mills, drills, and grinders mostly. I did a 2 year tour on a Fanuc CNC mill and it damn near ruined me as a machinist. I won't do that again.  :borg:

Back in February I was laid off from my job of 9 years and it's not looking like there will be a callback. Things around here (Northern Oklahoma) are getting pretty bad job wise. I have decided to put my time and energy into building up my little hobby shop and trying to make a buck doing what I love. Mostly I work with military surplus firearms, collectible stuff that is hard to find parts for. Currently my shop consists of a 7x12 mini lathe, a Seig x2 mill, and a Gallmeyer & Livingston 6x18 hydraulic surface grinder that I have been restoring. In fact I just finished roughing in the new mag chuck tonight. I'll let 'er cool down overnight and take 2 or 3 tenths off with a finish stone and put the old gal to work!  :ddb:

I have fun modding my equipment, lately I have been on a roll getting my lathe up to snuff. I still have about a dozen more projects waiting in the wings for the lathe and mill. I don't want to have all my fun at once so I am moving a bit more slowly now. I really enjoy the site here and want to thank everyone for making me feel like one of the guys. I hope I am able to give as well as I have received so far.

:mmr: :nrocks:

Todd

Bernd:
Ok Todd,

Here's the official welcome then.

Welcome to Madmodder and as you already know it's a fun place.  :mmr:

I see that you'll probably get  :proj: from what you told about yourself. And of course  :worthless: , but on a project in the proper board.  :)

Sorry to here you don't have employement at this time. Never been there but came close a couple of times. Being in the area you are in do you think that you could maybe do a bit of advertising to fix farm equipment. I remember once reading about a guy that made a living repariing spray nozzels for farm equipment using a Sherline setup. He later became a dealer selling the equipment. It's just a thought.

Again welcome to the collective.  :borg:

Regards,
Bernd

Darren:
Hi Todd,

A late welcome, but now you've given us the chance  :thumbup:

Like Bernd says, I think you already know you'll slot in nicely here  :nrocks:

As a machinist I'm sure your services will be invaluable in the local area, just got to find the customers.. :thumbup:

:med:

Brass_Machine:
Hi Todd!

I know where you are on the employment front. I have been laid off twice in the past year... almost 3 times but I left the job before that happened. But as the others have said (and what I did when I was there), but that home shop to work. I made (and still make) custom kickstands for motorcycles to get extra money to help with the mortgage. Sorry to hear you are in that situation and I hope it gets better soon.

As far as giving to the site goes... your work on modding your lathe has inspired me to start doing the same soon. So I would count that as a yes.

Anyway, officially welcome to the collective :borg:

Eric

John Hill:
Hi Todd

Welcome to the gang and I am sorry to hear of the job situation, lets hope that picks up soon or perhaps another door will open for you.

John  a.k.a.  The Artful Bodger

Wellington
New Zealand

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version