Author Topic: Philip Duclos "Victorian" IC engine project  (Read 106683 times)

bogstandard

Re: Philip Duclos "Victorian" IC engine project
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2009, 04:39:52 PM »
Eric,

I only wish I could meet him as well, I can get him to speak to me on Skype, but he won't show me his face.

With all this arty farty stuff he gets up to, I am wondering if he is in fact a she. :lol:

Can you confirm please, seeing as how you have actually seen him.

Bogs

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2009, 04:50:40 PM »
Eric,

I only wish I could meet him as well, I can get him to speak to me on Skype, but he won't show me his face.

With all this arty farty stuff he gets up to, I am wondering if he is in fact a she. :lol:

Can you confirm please, seeing as how you have actually seen him.

Bogs

Met him and Bernd at a show... Cabin Fever. Yup... Steve is a him.  :ddb: Unless he escaped from the circus as a bearded lady!   :lol:

Eric

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

bogstandard

« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2009, 05:44:11 PM »
Oh dear, another theory shot down in flames.

I will get something on him one day. Then I can get him back for showing us such wonderful work.

Bogs

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2009, 06:15:41 PM »
 :jaw: OMG!!!!  Bogster was having "affectionate" fantasies????   eeeeeEEEEWWWWW!!!!  :wack:

Steve

bogstandard

« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2009, 09:38:51 PM »
At last, it has worked, a humorous reaction.

I have managed to break you out of that very serious mode you have been in over the last few months.

Welcome back Steve, you had me worried there.

Bogs

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2009, 10:21:56 PM »
John
Thanks for pointing that out. I've been a bit distracted with a back problem since October. Only in the past 3 weeks have I been "back on my feet". Hard to see the humor when the pain pills were daily fare. I'm feeling pretty fit now.. if this summer cold will just let go of me.

To be honest, there are stretches where I've missed the board for a few days at a time. Much time has been given over to the engine project and the grand kids. Cold weather will run me back inside sooner than I want and I'll probably put in mor time on the boards. Right now I'm simply having more fun than the law allows. 

Now.... you might want to cut back on them meds a wee bit.... we aint gonna be showering together....  :lol:

Steve

bogstandard

« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2009, 02:32:18 AM »
Nice to see you haven't lost it.

Do what I did, get them to slap a patch on, it has got me mobile again and almost as grumpy as I was before.

Just take care, and give us a bit of humour in them thare great postings.

John

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2009, 11:02:01 PM »
I promise I haven't abandoned you guys on this project. I've been working my way past a couple of small engineering problems, mostly dealing with lack of room, before I can advance  to the next stage. Between designing my own feedwater pump and making it fit the rear shaft and coming up with a usable check valve design that I like, I'm spending more time erasing pencil lines than cutting metal. The feedwater system will probably warrant its own thread before all is said and done.

With a bit of luck I might be able to get some fresh photos up this weekend. There have been some small advances but none worthy in and of themselves to earn a post.

Patience... its still happening.

Steve

bogstandard

« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2009, 12:41:28 AM »
Get a move on Steve, I am waiting in the wings to see how this engine is finally going to look and run. I am sure it is going to be a total stunner. :clap:

I am hoping to start on my CNC designed engine this weekend, but will be made manually. You must know the one I am on about.
I was hoping you could sing along, as you have the music sheet. But it seems like you are dragging your heels on this one. :lol:

John

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2009, 01:01:15 AM »
John
I can name that tune in one note....(grin). I guess you'll be singing solo on that engine, but I'll try to catch up later. I can't sing anyway. Looks like I'm burning a bit more time than I expected to a few days ago. Got to keep the little beggar cool and I'm not going to use a cat food can like the plans called for. I think I beat the pump problem tonight and will be giving it a test fit, possibly tomorrow if family obligations allow it.

I managed to snag a nice summer cold a couple of weeks back and it turned out to be rather vicious, having moved into my chest and putting me to taking naps to catch up on lost sleep. I'm sure glad I didn't use all of my quota when I was a child. I've rather enjoyed them of late. I'm well on the mend now but this cough is not cooperating.

I'll need to get some time in the shop before next week as I've just learned I've been volunteered to holiday at the beach the first part of next week.

Steve

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2009, 12:51:14 AM »

As I said earlier, most of what I've been doing was small steps which were taking up more time than expected. This posting documents some of them.

The modified linkage for controlling the cam and flywheel assembly changed quite a few of the dimensions given on the plans. This required making few adjustments along the way. The photo below shows the foot which opens the exhaust valve during the engine's freewheeling mode. This action is what makes a hit and miss engine "miss". With the exhaust valve held open it can't deliver any compression.

That odd silver ball on the front of the cam was not there for decoration only. It served as a pivot point for the catch arm that holds the valve foot down. This piece was supposed to be installed much earlier in the build, but I didn't like the original design which called for a piece of 1/8 inch flat bar. Once the foot was installed, I had to come up with a custom arm to fit the new linkage. This photo shows what I came up with.

If you look closely you'll see a small rod has been added to the slide linkage This rod is the remains of a broken cobalt drill bit and is where the arm catches the linkage when the gear cam is activated... assuming the governor is at full extension. As a side note.... you might want to know that drill rod (silver steel) and cobalt do not solder very well at all....so green Loctite was used to secure the joint.

Here is the completed linkage assembly. For the curious, take a little time to study the relationships between all the components and the operational sequence of the little engine will begin to reveal itself.

With the front side of the engine completed, that free swinging end of the crank shaft needed attention. The plan is to mount a small water pump behind the engine body and drive it with an eccentric mounted on the shaft. In order to accomplish this, the shaft had to be stabilized. A place to mount the pump was also on the list of things needed. The bushing was installed and the face of the piece was turned to "fit" the large opening in the rear of the base. This will let me use it to mount he pump as things progress.

While it doesn't look like much of a step, this piece had me sweating a bit. When a shaft is supported at two points, as this one has been until now, you have little chance of binding. When that same shaft is supported at 3 points, things can begin to bind in a hurry. Even a slight misalignment will cause problems. The large hole in the base is centered at 1.812 inches from the bottom of the body. This is also the location of the hole center in the front support where the points are located. 

Since the body is contoured and lacking any abundance of reference points I had added one the plans never called for. That small flat spot you see in the photo below was a god send. I was able to us it to help square the work piece when it had to be put back in the mill vise. More than once it saved my bacon and is now one of the tricks that is being used regularly on other projects.

By using the flat spot, a DTI and my now much beloved DRO, I was able to nail the 1.812 inch measurement perfectly and mill the slots for the plate into the round body at exactly the right place. 

The photo below shows the pump in its early stages. The bore is 5/16 with a 3/4 inch stroke. The plunger has been made and fitted with its o ring and the water hammer chamber is fitted. You'll see flat spots on the upper section which I mentioned above. Since the area will be removed when the pump gets its end cap, they won't interfere with anything. The simply make it easy to keep things square.

Here is what it all looks like at the moment. The mock up fuel tank is about to be replaced with the real deal and the round mounting plate and wooden plinth are almost ready for final finish and the pump build is well under way. The ignition system should be here next week and hopefully the first test firing will also be made before next weekend. Lots of little items to finish tying down and still more polishing to be done, but the project is quickly coming to completion. Keep those fingers crossed that the darned thing will run....LOL

Steve

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2009, 01:58:33 AM »
Stunning work Steve  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Useful technique with that flat spot filed that one away for use in the future.

Can't seem to see the pics of the pump  :scratch:

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2009, 08:10:58 PM »
Im sure you'll have it running with few problems. There will be some of those choice words needed to get it running properly though for sure.

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2009, 01:12:08 AM »
Thanks guys....
George, you almost "got it" with your last post. This project was begun with the idea of making the engine "mine", but the real message is that it doesn't matter if you're building one of Elmer's, Chuck Fellow', Jan Ridder's or even a Philip Duclos engine design, you don't have to be chained to copying every move they made.

The critical measurements were faithfully followed or at least allowed for throughout this whole project. Those are the important data points that make the engine capable running when you are done. Not everyone will want to go to the extremes I've gone to with this project, but never be afraid to make cosmetic changes to your engine so that it becomes uniquely yours and different from all others in whole world.

This is not to say that I'd make such changes to a historically accurate rendition of a specific engine or fall too far from original with a casting kit, but not every engine we build need be slavishly like every other. If only one builder takes that message to heart and runs with it, this whole long thread will have been a resounding success in my mind.

Ok... enough of the ramblings ....a few more hows are probably in order after the long gap in this thread. The cheesy little toy boiler that has been standing in for the real gas tank is now officially retired. The following photos show the beginning of the new one. This tank will be for the aspiration carb and will be replaced with a look alike once I've got time to work out the vapor tank system I want to add before all is said and done. Since my self imposed deadline is looming near, this one will have to do for now.

In the first photo, The work piece has been bored to the desired size and the first end cap has already been soldered, fitted and trimmed. I realized I needed photos just in time to share the second end cap as it was undergoing the same process.

The end caps will both be fitted with a porthole sight glass, so the huge hole is not there by mistake...(grin). This one has been cleaned, fluxed and the solder is already wrapped around the center section. I flattened the solder so it could be wrapped close enough to take full advantage of the gap I left for it to fill in the bore.

This trick also meant a much cleaner solder joint and much less clean up than trying to feed solder into the provided gap. Note there is a wide space between the two pieces. This proved to be handy as it let me see when the solder melted. As it flowed into place, the gap disappeared and the pieces mated quite close together.

Also note that the dimensions of the pieces are not final. I left some "fat" so that I could put the tank back in the lathe for clean up.

The clean up required several very light passes, but the solder lines all but completely disappeared. A bit of polishing has already begun to remove tool marks and the piece is headed back to the lathe to fit the glass, which will come in the next installment.

Here is the obligatory mock up/ test fit to see how things are going to look.

Steve

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2009, 02:33:01 AM »
I have to say that I am moved by the quality and attention to detail that you bring to this project.  :bow: Your creative vision on this is superb, absolutely 1st class work.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2009, 04:27:52 AM »
Steve, is t'other end to the soldered cap solid?

Nice work, yet again.... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2009, 04:35:20 AM »
Very nice bits again Steve.

Are you going with Jan Ridder's vapour system then?

John

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2009, 08:04:08 AM »
I love how this is gradually growing/ developing, one beautiful piece/ assembly at a time......  :clap:
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2009, 11:00:55 AM »
Very very nice Steve. Like what you are doing with the tank!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2009, 12:40:36 PM »
Darren
Both ends are open and will have glass installed. The next installment will show a bit more of the whole idea.

John
That's the plan.. at least eventually. I'm looking at trying to make this tank in a manner that will allow me to switch it over to the vapor system. If things go right, I'll only have to replace a filler tube with the intake and turn the fuel outlet into a drain. The upper vapor outlet will first serve as a vent and will then convert to become vapor the pick up.  Less complicated than it sounds, but since I'm still working out the final design, I'll have to settle for the aspirated system for now.

I think I figured out the tank mountings this morning so hopefully the bit of copper wired which has served so well is soon to be history.

Steve

Offline georgeseal

« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2009, 02:06:32 PM »
I think the safety wire look works for me :)    :)    :)
George from Conyers Ga.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2009, 07:21:14 PM »
You certainly have a wonderful way with metal shaping Steve  :thumbup:

I'm quite looking forward to seeing this little beauty all finished.... No where near as much as you, but it is exciting to see it all coming together  :ddb:

Glad you're taking the time to share  :beer:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline shoey51

« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2009, 02:54:05 AM »
simply stunning :bow: :bow: :thumbup: :clap:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2009, 07:45:19 AM »
Steve,

Looks amazing! When I make cosmetic changes to other peoples designs it's usually to make it quicker and easier for me to machine ... yours are completely the opposite!

Nick

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2009, 04:54:19 PM »
Well I've been playing catch up as I've been AWOL for a little while  ::) ............ and I've thoroughly enjoyed catching up with everyone's "going's on" etc .......... I have saved this one for the end though as I thought you would have upped the stakes a little Steve, .............. and you have ..........   :beer:

I can't say any more than the rest of the guys, it's just top class, as is the write up ............ thank you ........... very enjoyable read, and I'm really looking forward to the final chapters

and the photo's

and the video

etc

Dave