Author Topic: The Backyard Blacksmith Traditional Techniques for the Modern Smith  (Read 2903 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
The Backyard Blacksmith
Traditional Techniques for the Modern Smith
by Lorelei Sims
ISBN#1-59253-251-9 Paperback
copyright©2006

Section One

* Your smithy
    * Gathering tools and equipment
    * Iron
    * Preliminary skills

Section Two

* Tool usage and forging techniques
    * Forge welding and other assemblage techniques
    * Making your own tooling

Section Three

* Projects
    * Conclusion
    * Resources
    * Index,etc

As I have said before, I have had limited blacksmithing experience. And that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Oops! That another story.Smile

The book itself seems to be very well done. Laid out in a logical order, taking it form a what it is. To each step after clear bright color pictures, simple clean line drawings. Block boxes for important info whether it be "Tricks of the trade" or "Safety tips"

Along with the color boxes for what is important information that deserves your attention to accomplish a step or about a process you must understand.

It is based on using a solid fuel forge and does contain info that may be hard to come by in other books. Starting, operating and stopping the fire.

Other's on this forum can address the quality,and clarity of her steps in laying it out for the newbe, or just the casually interested I'll just use a torch for the three hooks for the pot hangers I need crowd.

It was a good read, and will come in handy in the future.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen