Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

3D Printed Solar Shield

<< < (2/9) > >>

Pete49:
Very nice job you made of it. I have found many uses for my 3D printer since I bought it, way more than I thought I would. Just a bit of info for you re plastics. PLA plastics degrade in the weather /sun. ABS is the better filament to use for that purpose. I have seen how the sun can affect plastics here in Australia especially in our summers.
Pete

Joules:
Thanks Pete,
      we print as part of our business, however we have no definitive information on how the plastic degrades, so this is for our own research.  We have had prints in oil and machine coolant for over a year without them degrading.  There is alot of misinformation regarding current printed plastics, so to help our clients we are running tests with real world prints than just tiles and cubes.   

nrml:
Very nicely done.  :clap:

Which plastic among the widely available 3D printer filaments would you recommend for parts that will be exposed to grease, oil and cutting fluid?

Joules:
If your working temperature is below 50c then without a doubt PLA, it has so far proved for us to be the most unreactive of the printed plastics, in the lower printing temperatures.

nrml:
Thank you. That is very useful to know. I've been having problems with cutting / tapping fluid eating away certain plastic bottles so I wasn't sure if printed supports for a digital caliper style DRO would work. I now have the confidence to give it a try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version