The Shop > Software Tools

How's your DOS ?

(1/7) > >>

DavidA:
A bit of a head scratcher.

I use an old 486 PC running DOS 6.2 to do a lot of my mathematical programming. I use GWBasic as I am comfortable with it.

However, Today I fired up the dinosaur and to my GWBASIC directory with the usual CD GWBASIC command.  The GWBASIC is in the root directory C:
I then did a DIR as I had forgotten what is in there. And found no files except the usual hidden two.

No program (*.BAS) or data (*.DAT) files etc.

'Odd', Thinks I. 'Maybe I have them on Drive D:'

DIR D: (from C:))and there they were.

OK, So let's use D:

CD D:

NOTHING.

Used MSD to check if I actually had a drive D: (although I had already done a DIR on it) and yes, there it was. Same size as drive C:

To cut to the chase, I am being denied access to drive D:  The files are there, but I can't access them.

When I try to change directory (I like that word, far nicer than 'folder') all that happens is a brief pause and I am back in root directory C:.

Any clues as to what is going on?

Oh yes, If I change the boot sequence to read D,A, SCSI it still boots up in C:  The normal sequence is A,C, CDR

Dave.

philf:
David,

I don't think you should be using cd d: to change to the d drive. It would be looking for a directory within the current drive and directory.

You should only have to type d: to change the drive.

cd with a /d switch can be used to change disk but it's more typing.

Phil.

lordedmond:
Yep

Just type help or ? To get a list of commands

Or write a .bat file to run the program from c drive
Call the file maths.bat

Echo off
d:
Gwbasic

Should do it if my brain cell can remember that far back
Do you still have to stoke them up with coal , naw that a steam engine but nearly as old 😈

Stuart

DavidA:
PhilF, Stuart.

Thanks. 

But after I had typed in the 'problem', switched off  and had set off out the house I realised what I had done.

You can tell it is months since I used DOS.

You are both, of course, right.

Exit stage left, feeling rather silly.

Dave. :doh:

awemawson:
Don't knock DOS 6.2 - at least it's not calling home for updates every few hours  :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version