Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

vial for a machinist's level

<< < (7/7)

jcs0001:
Pete

I agree that making a fancy jig for a one off is a bit of work.  I had no trouble with my method and it was fairly easy to do.

As far as calibrating the level here is my method - more experienced members feel free to point out any errors omissions or screwups.  My method will get the level very close to level - for final tuning I will use a surface plate (see why I did not below).

I left the non adjusting side of the level a bit less than snug and each time I checked the level I tightened the adjustment nuts just moderately.  Once I was happy with the position of the vial holder I tightened the nuts and screw and checked it again.

1) you need a fairly level flat surface - use a carpenter's level to find one - it doesn't have to be perfectly level - just enough that the machinist level will register once calibrated.  If the machinist level (ML) rocks on the surface use a bit of tape to "flatten" the surface so the ML does not rock.

2) use masking tape or a marker to mark the end and side of the area in which your ML will sit.  You will be placing your level in the same spot each time you rotate it 180 deg.  You can also clamp two straight edges at right angles and place your ML against them.

Note adjustment nuts on the left side.  Note bubble is against the far right mark on the vial.

Rotated 180 degrees from the first photo.  Note bubble is also against the far right mark on the vial.  It is now calibrated - very close anyway.

3) adjust the ML so that the bubble shows.  Don't try to get it centred.  Rotate the ML 180 deg. and see where the bubble is now.  It will likely be different than the previous position.  Before rotating the level adjust it so that the bubble is moved towards the first position, about 1/2 way.  Turn 180 degrees and note where the bubble is and adjust again.  You will need to do this a few times.

4) the goal is to be able to rotate the level 180 degrees and have the bubble in the same position.  For eg. if the right side of the bubble is against the far line on the right side of the vial in one position then it needs to be against the right side of the far line when the level is rotated 180 degrees - you can see this in the two photos.

If your surface is closer to level than mine then the position of the bubble in the vial will be closer to the centre.  I suspect the carpenters who installed my window did not use a fine machinist grade level. :)

I hope this makes sense - it was a quick process and not very difficult.

In my case it is quite cold in my shop and not conducive to doing fine work.  I used a window ledge and got the level very close - I can fine tune it when my shop is a bit warmer and I can use my surface plate.

John.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version