Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

vial for a machinist's level

<< < (3/7) > >>

PekkaNF:

--- Quote from: Will_D on September 07, 2015, 06:05:08 PM ---....
Now a spirit level vial iirc is "just" a bent piece of glass/plastic with flourosceine dyed wate, a bubble and some etched lines"

The more expensive the vial: Then its a much larger radiius with longer space between the grad.lines!

--- End quote ---

I believe engineering levels have a straight tube that has a internal curvature ground/lapped---more controlled that way. I think I have seen somewhere short very old instruction how to barrel proper curvature on glass tube. Sort of lapping if I remember correctly.

Pekka

jcs0001:
A quick update.  I soaked the tube with broken glass and plaster of paris for a day or two then took a brass rod and gently, holding the tube in one hand, punched out the remaining end cap and all the remaining glass and plaster.  The tube is now clean and ready to put back together if I locate a vial.  Will keep looking as I'm in no hurry and have lots of other things to do right now.

John

jcs0001:
I am resurrecting this post as I now have further information about obtaining a vial.

It appears that the vial from the starrett 12 in. machinist level (98-12) will fit my lufkin level.  I searched ebay on and off and could not locate said vial.  However last night I found a part number for the vial.  It is starrett part number pt15024.  With that number in hand I was able to find a US supplier (I am in Canada) however they don't ship small volumes  when paying by credit card. 

I then found that Fastenal Industrial Supplies (we have an outlet in my city) carries Starrett tools in
Canada.  They informed me that they can order the vial and the cost will be in the area of $26 Can. plus "a small amount for shipping".  It is now ordered and I was told to expect it within about 2 weeks.

Note that Fastenal does not sell to individuals however they did not require a lot of details about my business and were happy to order under that name.

I will update this post with more detail once I get the vial and have a chance to install it. 

Thank you,

John.

Pete.:
What was the sensitivity of the vial you bought John?

jcs0001:
Pete

It is the standard vial for the starrett 12 in. level and starrett indicates 0.005 per foot for each graduation.  (.42 mm per meter).

I believe that I had the resolution for the lufkin at one point but cannot recall what it was right now.  I seem to recall it was a bit less that .005 per foot but am not sure.  This should be satisfactory as there aren't any other options that are cost effective for the vial.

John.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version