Gallery, Projects and General > Neat Stuff

Quite a set of gears!

<< < (2/3) > >>

PTsideshow:
Very cool, Bogs I think you have found Wes's next project  :D
glen

Weston Bye:
Gulp.  :bugeye: The irregular gears might be a ways off.  I need to do regular gears first.  The "cubular" gears might be doable before the others.

raynerd:
Wow that one at 18s is fantastic - has anyone ever come across the plans that were shown. I wouldn`t mind saving a copy - I`m 10 years off making one but would love to have a look at them. Talking of gears - are there any good "how to" gear cutting links online?

Thanks for the post webby.
Chris

John Hill:
Chris,  I have read a few techniques for gear cutting but unfortunately I didnt keep a record of the sites.  However the information was not difficult to find.

How to do it seems to depend a lot on what equipment you have!  These are the techniques I recall:

With lathe..
   Gear blank held on a vertical axis with the blank below the spindle centreline at the start of the cut.  The vertical axis must be able to move upwards (mounted on a vertical slide for example) and the blank must be able to rotate with index stops.  The lathe tool is ground to the profile of the tooth and the blank is slowly raised until it is completely above the spindle axis which completes the cutting of one tooth.

With a shaper..
    Again, the blank is held on an axis that must be able to rotate and is indexed for each tooth.  There is a technique described on-line where a wire is wound around a drum on the axis and rotates the blank automatically by the action of the shaper cross feed.

With a mill
    Well, I dont have a mill so I never looked at this option..

Bernd:
Chris,

It depends on what type of gears you want to cut. John has hit on some of the high lights for simple gear cutting such as spur gears. The more complicated the gear the more complicated the machine. You would not be able to cut a set of ring and pinion gears for the final drivr of a car. The machines that do this cost in the 100's of thousands of dollars. I know this because I worked for a world leading gear cutting machine manufacture.

The simple spur gear can be cut on a mill with the proper cutter and a dividing head (and I don't mean Ralph  :lol: )

I'm sure if you do a google search you'll get many hits. Off hand I can't come up with any links at the moment.

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version