Home Base > Introductions

The New Kid

(1/3) > >>

Weston Bye:
I seem to have gotten the cart before the horse by jumping right in, at PTSideshow’s invitation, to comment on my entry in the Machinist’s Challenge.  That was the cart, so by way of introduction, here is the horse:

I am most notorious for my column “The Mechatronist” in Digital Machinist magazine, and a few articles in The Home Shop Machinist magazine.  In my day job I pose as a Manufacturing Engineer for a company that makes solenoids, coils and electromechanical devices, although I have no degrees in engineering or anything else.

My formal education came courtesy of the U. S. Navy, a short Avionics A School, back in the early ‘70s when they were still teaching tube theory.  My checkered past includes TV, stereo, electronic organ and medical equipment repair.  I was self-employed for 18 years building machine tool and automation control systems, panels, hydraulics and pneumatics.  Past distractions in my life include a pilot’s license, amateur radio, stained glass, a little blacksmith work, building two houses, and building a small boat.

As previously noted, my primary interest is designing, building, and writing up projects for the column in Digital Machinist.  If this sounds like shameless self-promotion, it is.  I want the magazine to prosper, and that requires reader interest.  I have spent much of my career creating new devices on demand.  Article content is not much different.  As time goes on, tell me what you would like to see in the magazine, and I will see what I can do.

Weston

Divided he ad:
Hi Weston  :wave: Welcome to the collective  :borg: (bit of a fun title for erm... All of us  :dremel: types :thumbup:)

I have to admit to never seeing or hearing of  “The Mechatronist” in Digital Machinist magazine. Sorry bout that! I'll get a look at some of your works when I get a free evening (don't hold your breath.... But I will look at them :thumbup:)

Now I do like the idea of "creating new devices on demand." Sounds like fun.... Make something and show us how it was done!.... Is that what you mean?  :lol:

I hope you have a good time looking round here and of course joining in  :thumbup:  We're all quite happy to chat about pretty much anything.

Enjoy yourself and as always please remember   :mmr:   :ddb:

Ralph.

sbwhart:
Welcome aboard again Weston

As Ralph said this is a fun site do join in the discusion and a gentle bit of leg-pulling won't go amiss, and of course watch out for  :proj: and anything you do must have pics as  :worthless: (well that's most of the banners posted Ralph missed) I'll leave a few for the rest of the chaps  :lol: whoops ther's another.

Have Fun

Stew

Weston Bye:

--- Quote from: Divided he ad on April 24, 2009, 09:57:32 PM ---
...  Now I do like the idea of "creating new devices on demand." Sounds like fun.... Make something and show us how it was done!.... Is that what you mean? 
--- End quote ---

Yep.  Narrative, photos, dimensioned drawings, schematics.  I try to choose projects that have a mix of machined and electrical or electronic content.  My articles tend to be more about what you can do with your tools rather than building tools.  I haven't gotten into CNC (yet).  There many other good authors doing that.  If you follow the link in my signature line below, there is a tab (edit: called Coming Soon, scroll down to the archives) there that leads to a list of the articles in the back issues.  Feel free to ask questions about particular articles I have done and I can put up a few photos and details here.

Ralph, I particularly enjoyed your torches.

Darren:
I'd love to get into CNC, but got to master the manual method first....one day..... :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum Wes.... :wave:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version