Author Topic: 1992 Isuzu Rodeo , I should have my head examined!  (Read 10129 times)

Offline scout800

1992 Isuzu Rodeo , I should have my head examined!
« on: June 07, 2015, 08:06:15 PM »
Hello, it's been a while since I've been on here. I have a project that I have been working on and it is turning out to be a bigger project than I thought. I started in mid December and thought I would have it done in August or September...... I think I'm going to need more time. Any way it's a 92 Isuzu rodeo 4x4 that I bought 2 years ago and it was basically sitting in the back yard because it wouldn't pass emissions inspection, turns out it needed a new engine. Here is where things got out of hand, I decided that the v6 engine it came with didn't have enough power so v8 swap was the only answer. Well it didn't end there, the independent front axle and suspension needed rebuilt also. Most of the trail's in the Arizona desert require lot's of ground clearance and posi traction at least in the rear differential. Long story short I cut all of the front suspension off the vehicle, added parallel leaf springs off of a Chevy Blazer including front axle and used a rear differential out of a  Z-71 later model Chevy with posi, Also have a turbo 400 transmission and a New Process 208 transfer case. By the way the engine is an LS1 out of a 2005 Silverado. Now I'm sure you can imagine the incredible amount of work that it takes to do this, including making mounts trans cross member ,wiring harness, cooling,plumbing , spring hangers, etc. Maybe I should have just bought a Blazer! Here is some pic's, you tell me if I need my head examined.

Dave.     

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: 1992 Isuzu Rodeo , I should have my head examined!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 08:49:26 PM »
Very cool! I had a mid 90's rodeo. Still have a 01 Trooper in the drive (currently not running). Keep this project going!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline scout800

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 10:18:26 PM »
Will do Eric , thanx for the interest.  I'll go  into a  little more detail . My wife is a really good amateur photographer and she likes photographing our beautiful Arizona desert , so that is what this vehicle is meant for among other things. As you may know the desert can be a dangerous and life threatening place if you are not prepared. There has been many lives lost because they didn't use their head! Plans are for an 8 to 10 thousand pound winch, provisions for extra fuel and water, Two full size spare tires, high lift jack and various other items that might get us HOME ALIVE if we encounter such issues. The axles are fitted with 3.73 gears , plan to put 35 x 12.50 x 15 tires (it has 31 x 10.50 x 15's now) and maybe some sort of locker up front. By the way  Front axle is a Dana 44 and rear axle is a 9.5 inch 14 bolt semi floater. The motor is put in for mock up  and will come back out for a rebuild mainly stock for reliability and fuel mileage. The exhaust will have 2 catalytic converters with 2.5 inch tube and quiet probably factory Silverado muffler , I don't want to listen to it all day on the trail. I have a new aluminum radiator that needs crammed in there and will also have ice cold ac. Transmission is fully rebuilt and the transfer case needs gone through. Isuzu's from the factory have the rear springs ran underneath the axle , I swapped it to over the axle, with the swap and front spring change over it lifted the vehicle darn close to 10 inches! I need to raise the rear a little to get it level , i'll do that in the end . With the 31 inch tires the thing stands 6 foot 10 inches the new tires will raise it another 2 inches and plan to add a roof rack. I have never had a 7 foot tall 4x4 before and i'm sure there will be some handling issues on the road that i'll have to deal with but that's to be expected. There is a ton of other mod's that I'll go into later but for now here is some more pic's , they are self explanitory but if you have questions fire away thanx for listening.

Dave.

Offline scout800

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 11:21:30 PM »
Just a quick note, if you have seen The Legend of the Superstitions on the History channel that's where I live, you can get an idea of the rugged beautiful terrain that I'm describing.  It's a kind of corny but really interesting show about the Lost Dutchmen gold mine hidden in the Superstition Mountains supposedly worth 20 million dollars, people have spent their whole lives looking for it.

Dave. 

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 04:12:44 AM »
........... Isuzu's from the factory have the rear springs ran underneath the axle , I swapped it to over the axle, with the swap and front spring change over it lifted the vehicle darn close to 10 inches! I need to raise the rear a little to get it level , i'll do that in the end . With the 31 inch tires the thing stands 6 foot 10 inches the new tires will raise it another 2 inches and plan to add a roof rack. I have never had a 7 foot tall 4x4 before and i'm sure there will be some handling issues on the road that i'll have to deal with but that's to be expected. There is a ton of other mod's that I'll go into later.......

A real explorer!  OT: is one of those pending mods raising the roof of the car port? :dremel:    :beer:

Dave M

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 09:16:30 AM »
Will do Eric , thanx for the interest.  I'll go  into a  little more detail . My wife is a really good amateur photographer and she likes photographing our beautiful Arizona desert , so that is what this vehicle is meant for among other things. As you may know the desert can be a dangerous and life threatening place if you are not prepared. There has been many lives lost because they didn't use their head! Plans are for an 8 to 10 thousand pound winch, provisions for extra fuel and water, Two full size spare tires, high lift jack and various other items that might get us HOME ALIVE if we encounter such issues.

I find that when I do stuff to help support my wife, it is the most rewarding. Does your wife have a website for her pictures?
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline scout800

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 09:03:49 PM »
Hey Dave M , I read your post early this morning about 5 am and couldn't help laughing, thanx you made my day . I will be putting a new shop and large awning in my back yard probably next year, so i'll have to park under the stars until then.  Eric she doesn't have a web site for pic's, not sure we  have enough computer savy  to do that, neither she or i would know where to start to make a web site. Although it would be neat to do so. Mostly she just post's on Face Book, I agree it is rewarding to spend time with her.   I'll keep you posted on my project ,Have a good evening .

Dave.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 10:48:14 PM »
Hi Dave,

.....Eric she doesn't have a web site for pic's, not sure we  have enough computer savy  to do that, neither she or i would know where to start to make a web site. Although it would be neat to do so. Mostly she just post's on Face Book........
Could you maybe post a link to the Face Book page then?

............ I will be putting a new shop and large awning in my back yard probably next year, so i'll have to park under the stars until then......
and I've just had a laugh too, as on first quick reading of that I mis-read it as "I'll have to park it under the stairs"  :bugeye:!

cheers / Dave (Isle of Man)

Offline scout800

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 07:40:49 PM »
Hello Gentlemen, I have been working on a new transmission cross member for my project and finally finished it today. It took me 3 days of measuring , cutting, and welding but it's done. The frame rails are not parallel right there and getting the angles was kind of tough. Tomorrow I'll install the transfer case make sure it fits and start to build the support for it, also try to think up some sort of skid plate for t-case. Here is some pic's , have a good night.
                                                                                Dave.