The Craftmans Shop > Model Engineering

Sheetmetal Bending

<< < (3/3)

Will_D:

--- Quote from: Lew_Merrick_PE on May 30, 2015, 07:35:19 PM ---I can use a pair of sharps to line everything up.

--- End quote ---

What are a pair of sharps?

Fergus OMore:
In Britain,  'sharps' can mean surgical instruments and hypodermic needles.

As well as for toffee  :lol:

Of course, a toffee hammer is the generic term for some panel beating hammers. Originally, it was the hammer used for breaking cinder toffee- which wasn't made from cinders- but the addition of  bicarbonate of soda  which was used as a gel accelerator in CNA glues- which were and are used instead of welding metals.

Got that? Great!

Lew_Merrick_PE:

--- Quote from: Will_D on May 31, 2015, 04:37:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: Lew_Merrick_PE on May 30, 2015, 07:35:19 PM ---I can use a pair of sharps to line everything up.

--- End quote ---
What are a pair of sharps?

--- End quote ---
Sharps are a piece of steel (hardened, if it is going to be used more than a couple of times) that fit into the vee to locate the part.  The ones I learned to make & use were drilled & reamed (PF) for a dowel pin on one side and slotted (SF) for a dowel pin on the other side.  That way a small cam could be used to "close" the sharps onto the piece being bent.  Otherwise "releasing" the part can be quite a challenge.

When bending in a vise, a pair of low-angle chisels will do the trick.  The only drawback to this approach is that, without magnets to hold things, it quickly becomes a job for Shiva...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version