Author Topic: Sash Cramps Repair  (Read 3436 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Sash Cramps Repair
« on: May 31, 2015, 03:19:31 AM »
Hi Guys
              I recently spotted a pair of rusty old sash cramps at a car boot sale, in fact they were not an identical pair but of different make, but the same length three feet. The sliding adjustable stop was missing, as was the tapered locating peg on each cramp. I hummed and hah'd but when I asked the price, it was " £3 quid each mate, or two for a fiver," and the deal was done.
         When I arrived home, out came the wire wheel, and half an hour later, they were showing off their burnished finish. Three washers and a new roll pin were required on one, to reduce backlash in the clamping screw.
         The sliding stops were fabricated out of bits of scrap plate I had in stock.  A couple of pins were turned up, and drilled for their chains, which I have not yet aquired.
          I am quite pleased with the results and the cramps work well.

Cheers David

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: Sash Cramps Repair
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 04:29:58 AM »
Seems to me that it was a fiver well spent. Some useful cramps and a little practice at fabricating bits to make em work. Jolly good.  :nrocks:
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 04:39:16 AM »
Nice find and nice repair David  :thumbup:

You've reminded me that I have an assorted pile of sash cramps that I acquired when I bought my large 'chain morticer' - chap was chucking them out as most of the end stops are missing - they're a variegated lot - different lengths different makes but all good and solid - probably a dozen of them waiting for 'round tuits' to arrive !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 02:27:28 PM »

Thanks Guys for your replies, I fitted a short nut and bolt in the last holes to ensure the moving jaws could not get lost in  future.

Cheers David

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 09:26:58 PM »
You can never have too many clamps, David!  :clap: :beer:
(can't bring myself to change that to cramps, it just sounds too painful, here!)
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg