The Shop > Metal Stuff

Aluminum Copper Alloy Experiment

<< < (19/20) > >>

SwarfnStuff:
These last few posts reinforce to me the reason I like this forum. "I learn stuff."  :smart:
   In this case it actually confirmed what I sort of knew but Eutectic was a word I failed to recall but sounded sort of familiar.
   Thanks
John B

NormanV:
I've had a go at making a part. It turned like cast iron with dust instead of curly swarf. It drilled but blunted the drills and it was too brittle to do anything with it.
Not a success.

PekkaNF:
Aluminium alloys can be funny. My brother told few years back about some rivets used in aeroplanes. Can't remember exactly how it went but there was a very exact heat treatmen cycle and if I remember right there was a little time, something like few hours rivets kept froxen, really cold, something like -60C just before use and riveted in very conrolled manner and then they age hardened in two hours or so to full hardness.

Pekka

Meldonmech:

I have found this to be a very interesting topic, with practical experience combined with technical facts.
 I tried to produce a copper/aluminium alloy some years ago using copper wire to the melt. The percentage copper was quite small, and the difference in machined surface finish was similar. The intention was to produce duralumin but I never got round to doing any strength or wear tests.
 On my next melt, the aluminium is from the same source and I will use copper wire. From what I can remember only a small percentage of copper is required, to substantially increase the strength. I also have some small brass pipe  fittings and use some of these in a melt to compare  the results.

Cheers David

NormanV:
My last post on this subject. (famous last words!)
I had cast an ingot 100x40x250mm from the 50:50 aluminium:copper mix. I took it in my workshop and dropped it half metre onto a concrete floor. It snapped in two!
I don't think that this alloy has any practical use.
I will save it to use to add small amounts of copper to future melts.
This alloying business is quite complicated!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version