Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Tailstock rebuild...with pics this time!

(1/4) > >>

websterz:
I had a half hour to play tonight so I started my tailstock rebuild. My biggest problem, aside from the wrench, has been alignment of the base to the ways. I think the biggest part of it is the plate they use for locking the tailstock down. Like so many other parts it's made out of butter. After disassembling the tailstock

I started by cleaning and bluing the base to see just how much contact I had with the ways.

Not much actual contact there so I got out the plate glass and 600 grit paper and lapped the base a bit.

That made a huge difference. I am not going for 100% contact as there are some pretty deep tooling marks there. This is plenty good for my needs.

Next I looked at the part that mates with the prismatic way and found a ridge running down the length of the part!

That required a bit of milling

to get it cleaned up and running true.

I lapped this section of the base and my picture didn't come out for some reason. Oh well...it fits MUCH better now!!

In anticipation of the next mod I removed the cheapie setscrew and drilled/tapped the main casting for 3 grade 8 8-32 buttonhead capscrews. This affords a proper grip on the base and should hold much better. I may add a couple to the front side as well to help keep it all level. By this time my phone battery died and being suppertime anyway I decided to call it a night. Tomorrow I am going to do the set-over adjustment mod and camlock mod so I don't need that dang wrench anymore. Part of the latter mod will be a much more substantial locking plate to eliminate my original alignment problem. Then, time permitting, I can get the tailstock adjusted in true and be ready for the next adventure. I will take a proper camera out with me so I can get better pics.

bogstandard:
A man after my own heart W, get in there and fix it.

Bogs

websterz:

--- Quote from: bogstandard on April 22, 2009, 09:10:39 PM ---A man after my own heart W, get in there and fix it.

Bogs

--- End quote ---

For quite a while I was afraid to do any modifications to my equipment. Some things you only get one stab at and you're up a creek if you blow it. I am over that irrational fear now. Aside from the electrical system I can make a replacement for just about any part I may destroy (I am a machinist after all!) so now I feel a bit more free to experiment. Turning these Chinese kits into precision machines is a very rewarding pursuit!  :mmr:

Brass_Machine:
Tres Bien. I have been inspired to check and tune mine. Good job.

Eric

bogstandard:
W,

It is a major problem getting over the first hurdle and taking the plunge.

But the number of times I have seen people take on a stripdown and repair project, only to realise they need the machine, to make the part, to fix the machine they have stripped down in front of them.  :doh:

A little forwards planning does help, or mates not too far away, who can make the bits for you.

Bogs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version