Author Topic: Clarkson Tool Cutter Grinder Restoratioon  (Read 22758 times)

Offline ArnieB

Clarkson Tool Cutter Grinder Restoratioon
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:36:28 AM »
Hello,  some while ago (2013) I started to put my workshop together to start building a 4" scale model of a Burrell Traction Engine.  The Harrison L6 Mk3 lathe came first, followed by a rare round ram Bridgeport.  Next came a Clarkson Tool Cutter Grinder, which I found on ebay at Worcester in need of some TLC.  I kept a before and after photo album of most of the refurbishment and I thought it may be of interest.  Not quite sure of how to go about this as it will be my first topic on any forum but here goes.

Its not pretty is it.  By the way it is set up I think is was used to to one specific operation It came with the minimum of attachments but did have the collection of collets imp/metric. Not sure about the paint should be grey but painted in a Mk2 colour green I.split it down into three lumps cut the wiring off, and back to base.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:57:12 AM by ArnieB »

Offline ArnieB

Re: Clarkson Tool Cutter Grinder Restoratioon
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:15:46 AM »
I stripped and removed all parts bolts, screws component parts,

As I split the base plate it revealed its true colour, the original grey.
Now came the hard part I removed all the dirt and grease and set about preparing the painted arears .  I've recently bought a soda blasting kit for my new project I only wish I'd got it earlier and used it for the Clarkson, would have saved a lot of time..
A new single phase motor was ordered,  I got a drive belt from ebay, a Mk2 belt guard from Machine Spares together with the attachment bolts and a new motor pulley to fit the new motor.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:23:38 AM by ArnieB »

Offline DavidA

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 11:25:07 AM »
Arnie,

Great find.

I'm looking forward to seeing in all it's rebuilt glory.

Dave.

RobWilson

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 12:41:06 PM »
A good start to the thread Arnie  :thumbup:

Looking forward to more instalments  :)

Rob

Offline ArnieB

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 12:58:17 PM »
 Right mowing done next episode;

I used the proverbial wire brush mounted in my 4 inch grinder for most of the work, then electric sander , then wet and dry.  You may notice the cheat on the mounting base, but it was grey anyway.  Use of presicion dowels to locate the switch mounting plate.  I used the original switch plate and surfaced its face in the Brigeport to mount the new DOL starter.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:34:53 AM by ArnieB »

Offline ArnieB

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 01:15:31 PM »
I used Stationary Paints machine enamel.  I had some Harrison Lathe paint in the garage and as the colour match is the same as the Clarkson it was sprayed on.  I used two layers of grey primer, which I know technically I didn't need, then two layers of top coat. It is a high build enamel and went on with no runs or areas to retouch, I was chuffed. The motor arrived a lovely blue so that was sprayed as well.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:44:02 AM by ArnieB »

Offline ArnieB

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 01:22:24 PM »

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:51:20 AM by ArnieB »

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 01:23:33 PM »
Looks great!  :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline ArnieB

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 02:46:05 PM »
Thanks vtsteam it was hard work but I was pleased with the result.  I started assembling the parts, first drilling and tapping the belt guard attachment point. It was plain sailing, the motor fitted well and I was able to get correct belt tension. I rewired putting the wires through the pedestal leaving an outlet free for lighting  I had replaced the spindle bearings and it ran as good as  new.  I put a dial on the bed and got almost no runout, can't remember what exactly it was.  I managed to buy a Clarkson radius tool, and an as new 3 way 4" vice that still needs a purpose mount to the Clarkson.

As you can see been doing a bit of polishing.  I need to find a good light for it probably LED . Next will be a spindle stone guard with vacuum point and then find a pair of centres, I can't afford the price Machine Spares want, so I'll keep looking. I also have a height guage to put on.

Hope my post has been of interest  Arnie. ( I'll be back )
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:57:44 AM by ArnieB »

Offline Zadig

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 03:53:45 PM »
Looks good Arnie, even better second time around. I don't know how much you've used it yet on grinding tooling but mine needs bellows for the cross-slide desperately. The amount of grinding dust that ends up under the slide and on the screw is obscene. It means you can't use oil on your ways which is a pain. If you come across any bellows on your search, please let me know. The ones at ARC are just a little too wide unless anyone know of a decent kink to make them more suitable.

Offline ArnieB

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 04:16:42 PM »
Zadig Ebay item number:271815600670 I don't know if the Mk2 fit the Mk1 but Machine Soares Ebay site has these at the moment, that is if you've got deep pockets  .  Check out the price of the extension spindle !!!!!!!

Arnie

Offline Sid_Vicious

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 04:21:09 PM »
That machine is a beauty... About the led light a lot of people are very pleased with the "Jansjų" light from Ikea. Also mentioned in some treads here and on John Doubleboost's videos about his old lathe.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 05:29:06 PM by Sid_Vicious »
Nothing is impossible, it just take more time to figure out.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 04:47:36 PM »
Not sure about the bellows but lights- look at 12v angel eyes lights or the stalk version http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141278104751?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.

These have a good write up ( waiting for  mine currently) and with a 12 power supply are "safe" if anything hits them

Keep up the project!

Offline Zadig

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 12:55:44 AM »
Thanks for the link Arnie, I've seen that listing before but I must have missed the bellows somehow. They are a bit pricey mind, but for some reason bellows tend to be from most places with the exception of ARC and the ones they sell. I don't know if I can stomach £150, but the machine is nigh on useless without them.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 04:02:56 AM »
Hi there, Arnie,

I'm not seeing a lot of your photos - is it just me or does anyone else have the same problem? 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Zadig

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 04:33:45 AM »
Pete, Arnie is having problems with Photobucket. He's trying to get his head around it at the moment.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 04:52:52 AM »
There's no pleasing some folk  :). I quite like the photos of the cute little kitten .....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline ArnieB

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 08:01:56 AM »
Sorry folks operator error I did say at the start this was my first post.
Thanks for your patience.

Arnie.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:44:49 AM by ArnieB »

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 02:37:23 PM »
Pete, Arnie is having problems with Photobucket. He's trying to get his head around it at the moment.

Thank you Zadig.   :thumbup:   :thumbup:   :thumbup: 

Arnie, whatever you did, it worked!  I can see all your photos now.  The only problem now is   :drool:   :drool:   :drool:   :drool:   :drool:   :drool: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline DavidA

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 04:20:53 PM »
That certainly is a first class renovation;  well done.

Dave.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 04:35:47 PM »
Agreed but why use it as buffing lathe? As far as I am aware, this was never part of the design.  My experience with a Mark 1 suggests that the design  minimises the grit problem- in normal use.

Regards

Norman

Offline Zadig

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 05:26:13 PM »
... My experience with a Mark 1 suggests that the design  minimises the grit problem- in normal use.

Regards

Norman

Kindly explain.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 05:56:34 PM »
Hi Arnie, Welcome to the forum.
        You have done a cracking job of the Clarkson  :thumbup: :drool: :drool:, I have a MK 2 awaiting the same treatment, mine will also need the bellows too. I still need various attachments too but not often you see them go cheap these days  :palm:

Cheers Mick

Offline mattinker

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 06:14:44 PM »
This is a project that interests me as I too have a MK1 Clarkson that I've made some tooling for!

Regards, Matthew

RobWilson

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 01:57:00 AM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Cracking job  Arnie  :thumbup:

It looks like it makes a canny buffing machine  :palm:

And here be my sorry looking machine   :)

Rob