Author Topic: Pillar Drill  (Read 11296 times)

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
Pillar Drill
« on: April 14, 2015, 10:57:38 AM »
Hello Gents,

Been rather quiet on the modding front and as usual life got/gets in the way. But with weather getting better I have gotten back into the swing of things and want to get a Pillar Drill for a number of projects and came across this one on Argos. It has a bit more of a reach in the stroke and chuck size but is it worth the extra. I am also interested in thoughts and advice for other makes and models.

Many thanks
TomC
*** Master Guild of Procrastinators ***

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
Re: Pillar Drill
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 11:32:36 AM »
Hello In my opinion the Pillar drill you link to is way over priced.
Lidll and Aldi do one now and then (Good value), also many good ones are on Ebay. do a search within pickup distance.
Sadly tools from Argos very seldom are of quality. :doh:
Trev

Offline hermetic

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 12:53:09 PM »
HI Backof, I agree with Trev, for that sort of money you could be well in on ebay with a british made one. The problem with the Chinee ones is generally flexible table that bends under drilling pressure, and unfeasibly noisy motors, If you are going to get one, see if you can get a demo of the one you buy, and take a square and a bit of drill rod to check that the chuck is square with the table.
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline studders

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 03:29:41 PM »
I have an unbadged one of those drills but with 1/3 HP motor and 13mm chuck. I think I paid £49 inc del for it. It's quite flimsy and not at all accurate.
It's fine for drilling wood, which is what I got it for, but for anything else I use my Walker-Turner drill; bought second hand from the bay and built like a tank.

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 04:55:34 PM »
Many thanks for the replies and will take a look on the bay of eee I just wasn't sure if I would be able to get something for a budget I have but encouraged by your replies. More of the story later..

TomC

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 11:31:38 AM »
Speaking of the Aldi/Lidl models.

I have one practically unused, if you're not too far away from me it's yours for the collecting.
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 04:47:14 AM »
Hi Chris, sorry for delay in reply I'll pm you

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 06:03:31 AM »
They bought a Jet bench drill where I used to work a couple of years ago, cost nearly £400 and was of pretty poor quality IMO. The surface finish on the table and stand was very rough and the column was a very thin wall tube. Other fittings on the machine were pretty poor as well and it was noisy in use.

Offline angus

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 01:26:04 PM »
slight thread hijack.... anyone got a pillar drill that 3 instead of 2 multi stage pulley, and 2 belts, giving more speeds than the 5 mine has

my ajax runs a bit fast for what i need, and the casing looks like there must be a 3 pulley version, but cant picture what i need to do