Author Topic: Couple of Odd Jobs  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Ginger Nut

Couple of Odd Jobs
« on: April 04, 2015, 01:20:33 AM »
1st up was a few drill guides for an old Dowel Jig which I only had an 1/4"guide for. Made a 6mm, 8mm, 10mm. I used the 6mm straight off to align holes in the wheelchair rims for new hand grip rims.

Next up today had to reduce wall thickness on an impact socket for oldest son for work original OD 20.87 reduced to 18mm and depth/reach lengthened.

RobWilson

Re: Couple of Odd Jobs
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 04:20:07 AM »
Nice going Ginger  :thumbup:

I often have to mod sockets and spanners for work , generally when you need tool  P# 753932gx87h to do the job  :lol: :lol:

Interesting drill jig , who  manufactured  it  ? 

Rob

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 08:24:25 AM »
Nice one Ginner!  :clap: :clap:

It's a good feeling, when you can do, for others. Who can't........  :thumbup:

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 07:29:45 PM »
Nice going Ginger  :thumbup:

I often have to mod sockets and spanners for work , generally when you need tool  P# 753932gx87h to do the job  :lol: :lol:

Interesting drill jig , who  manufactured  it  ? 

Rob

Thanks Rob I had modified sockets in the past for work used the grinder back then non of the mechanic shops I worked in bar one had a lathe nor did I.

I can not find a makers mark on the drill jig it was my dad's I have to clean it a little might find something then.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 07:31:28 PM »
Nice one Ginner!  :clap: :clap:

It's a good feeling, when you can do, for others. Who can't........  :thumbup:

David D

Yes you are right there David and thanks

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 11:51:01 PM »
Well a couple of more Odd Jobs this time for oldest son so he can use them for work.

1st up a deep impact socket wall reduction, he uses this in installing security screens, doors and frames etc. Wall thickness had to be reduced to 18mm as the hole it had to go through of the frame and depth of reach made using the standard socket ARPIA.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 11:58:21 PM »
2nd Job for son was a Snake Eye Bolt tool he'd come up with.

Using standard type spanner for the work area he had was useless as well as the marring of the stainless head bolt which was an presentation situation. http://woolnwood.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/snake-eye-bolt-tool.html

Using a sheer pin I drilled the snake eyes holes right through on one bolt inserting a sheer pin gave the ideal tool although the photo shows only one pin then cut off both were and both were a pressed fit (hammered home) to 4mm protrusion. mark will fit 3 12mm nuts to the thread so he can then use a socket and bar to tighten the bolts in place.