Author Topic: What Keeps Me Out of the Workshop  (Read 49710 times)

Offline mechman48

Re: What Keeps Me Out of the Workshop
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2015, 05:55:18 AM »
Where are these guys when you need one?

Pekka

He's fast.... but where is his bedding /bonding layer, laying straight on to concrete path isn't the best way of securing the blocks....  :scratch:
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2020, 12:38:39 PM »
I don't seems to have been able to get into the workshop for DAYS recently  :bang:

Things have been conspiring to steal my time. The grazing was well over due a cut, BUT the Flail Mower was right at the back of the tractor shed, with six large 'apple crates' of seasoned fire wood in front needing stacking into the wood shed for winter. BUT before they were stacked, a dead tree close to the house needed felling and logging so that it could be stacked in first - although I'd deliberately left it standing for 18 months  still wanted to give it drying time under cover.

So - take down tree - log it - split it - stack it. I can't grub out its stump as our main foul drain runs within inches - it'll just have to rot over the years - it's low enough to mow over. OK NOW the apple bins could be shifted by tractor - two days stacking.

So NOW the mower could be recovered from the back of the tractor shed, oiled and greased and the 10 acres cut - 5 solid hours on the 1963 Ford 4000 and 26 litres of red diesel later can I have a beer please?

No! there's another tree that a certain person needed bringing down to let more light into the house - well that's NOT happening today - I'll have that beer  :beer:

So to bring this other tree down, and dispose of it (no use for burning) involves getting the dumper truck and JCB 803 into the front garden though a small eight foot field gate - BUT the gate has been jammed and unable to open since the burst water main incident - ten inch square gate posts have tilted towards each other jamming the five bar gate. OK crowbar gets it open, but how to make it closeable in the future :scratch: Quick Autocad sketch of an adapter plate to shift that latch 50 mm further away, cut it on the CNC Plasma Table (hey, I'm actually IN the workshop) bolt it all up and 'the jobs a good 'un ' (It was doing this that that 100 mm shift in X co-ordinates on the table came to the top of the list for fixing!) Now fairly simple job - bring the tree down,  cut it into suitable bits and make a few trips with the dumper truck to clear away, allowing me to grub out the stump with relatively little track or tyre damage to the lawns.

In the back ground to all this I was rebuilding my 'workshop PC' - getting all the legacy software re-loaded and tweaked to do what I wanted. It didn't help one little bit that when I intended to clean and re-format the partition on the second hard drive using 'DISKPART' SOMEHOW I managed to inadvertently clean and reformat the FIRST (operating system) hard drive - turn again Dick Whittington  :bang: Got there in the end.

OK field cut, trees felled, logged, split, stacked just one more, but this time rather pleasant task to perform. Visit our new Puppy - Abi(gail) an adorable Vizsla puppy - one of a litter of nine who will be joining us about 17th August, so no doubt life will be disrupted - but I don't mind this sort of disruption :ddb:

Meanwhile I can get a few days in the workshop - I scored some CO2 fire extinguishers on FB Market Place last night at a silly low price so they will need brackets making and mounted in the foundry and near the big generator. This is after having ordered two new ones that are due to be delivered on Monday - but a place like this needs extinguishers by every entrance and exit really - not an insurance stipulation, just a sensible precaution. I will note their tare weight, calculate the CO2 content and record it on a label and check them with a fish scale every now and again as these ones don't have the little gauges with red and green zones.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2020, 03:53:21 PM »
Bloody typical innit I had a load of new extinguishers delivered on site but we use them for hot works so they just stand loose. Last week I was sorting some stuff out and I found all the hangers and threw them in the scrap..

Offline russ57

« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2020, 08:13:16 PM »
I'm assuming that is you holding the puppies? So that's what you look like...

-russ

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2020, 02:50:50 AM »
Aye, grinning like the cat that stole the cream !l
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2020, 03:45:50 PM »
John

not been on for a while. Love the pups !

Bit concerned you now need a nappy ??🤪

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2020, 04:02:25 PM »
Who's John?

And every dog I've brought home has covered me during the car journey - Abi only pee'd but the others have gone the whole hog  :lol:

Today we've had her one week - an exhausting week with very little workshop time !

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2020, 05:05:32 PM »
Andrew

like i said,  been a while since i ve been on site. Memory not improving as you noted :doh:

congratulations  on new hound, I want another sheepdog currently as down to one now and I do miss her companion.

All mine have been fair travellers.

Dog vs workshop no contest !