The Shop > Tools

Morse taper question "Will the sky fall on my head if...

(1/3) > >>

John Hill:
... I cut the thin ends off my MT dead centre etc?  I have two dead centres, one live centre and one drill chuck arbor which are all so long that the 'pusher-outer' robs me of over an inch of tail stock ram travel.

Will I regret it if I cut them down?  Is that metal likely to be too hard to drill and tap?  The "Artful Bodger Idea" (all rights reserved) is to cut the offending end off then drill and tap the ends so that an adjusting set screw can be used to set 'push out point' to be near as dammit to the zero point on the ram scale. :scratch:

Darren:
What do you mean by a dead center? The one in the headstock or the one in the tailstock.

At some point in history I believe the terms got reversed, ie dead became live. It just depends how old you are I guess to what you call them.

The one for the headstock should be soft, the tail stock one will be hardened. But that does not mean you will not be able to machine it.
You might go through a bit of tooling trying though  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got the T-shirt  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

John Hill:
OK, you got me there, yes the terms are obviously wrong though I cant put my finger of the reference..

The centre for the headstock is not a problem, I dont have a draw bar type and there is no 'pusher outer' on the headstock spindle.

The centres for the tail stock that do not turn I have called 'dead centres', the one that has a set of bearings in it I have called a 'live centre' but on reflection I am sure that is wrong.

I am unsure if the two 'dead centres' are the same or not, maybe one is soft. :scratch:  OK, if I find one is soft I will not cut it's tail off....

Darren:
If you are talking about one for the tailstock be careful, you may find it hard to remove if you make it too short as there is nothing to "persuade" it out with... :thumbup:

John Hill:

--- Quote from: Darren on April 19, 2009, 11:38:30 PM ---If you are talking about one for the tailstock be careful, you may find it hard to remove if you make it too short as there is nothing to "persuade" it out with... :thumbup:

--- End quote ---

Good point and it is why I was thinking of the set screw to adjust it for push out from the zero graduation, the ram does go back a bit further than zero.

BTW, isnt it past your bed time? ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version