Author Topic: milling spindle upgrade  (Read 27256 times)

lordedmond

Re: milling spindle upgrade
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2015, 02:49:42 AM »
Reverse is useful for left hand drills to get out stuck studs, and as been mentioned running out taps

It's useful but not essential

Stuart

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »
well my collets arrived from arc, seems to be a small issue though.. . they don't fit!

not quite sure whats happening but they go in about 50mm or so then stop dead. looks like there is a small 'pin' inside the spindle that should fit in the slot on the collets? seems either the pin is damaged and too big, or the slot is too small.

so. . what size should the slot in the collet be?
a competent engineer uses the tools and knowledge available, to get a challenging job done.

An incompetent "engineer" tells his boss that the existing equipment "can't do the job" and to get another machine

lordedmond

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2015, 12:15:42 PM »

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2015, 04:30:40 PM »
thanks, yes its r8.  width seems right and I think depth is ok, getting 1.7mm at the edge so should be 2.4 (0.98) full depth. - no im  not going to calculate it.

seems I need to try and look up the spindle bore, see whats going on
a competent engineer uses the tools and knowledge available, to get a challenging job done.

An incompetent "engineer" tells his boss that the existing equipment "can't do the job" and to get another machine

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2015, 04:51:28 PM »
A couple of mine get a little tight when putting them in -- they were like that new, too. Sometimes I have to wiggle them or bump them past the sticky point with my palm. Most of my collets don't do it, just a couple. But definitely no forcing, and nothing like a hammer. Just a couple palm bumps sometimes.

I hope your quill isn't bent from the fall.....
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2015, 04:07:55 PM »
well the quill moves freely and the head didn't take any of the weight of the fall so I think im ok on that front.

managed to get a pic up the spindle bore and think the pins at fault, though the pic isn't as clear as id like

looks like the entire spindle need stripping down to be able to get it out though

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2015, 05:23:59 PM »
I had to fettle the pin in my spindle slightly. I used a small needle file where one of the sides are blank, I just gave a couple of strokes up each side of the pin which was enough for it to work with all my R8 tooling. I found that the problem was only really on all the imported tools, UK tools were fine?
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2015, 04:38:42 AM »
I was thinking of trying to clean it up, but need to be careful not to damage the taper.

Wouldn't suprise me if the imports were slightly different size to uk ones

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2015, 08:46:36 AM »
Use a little blue (or other color) on one part and fit together. Pull apart to check and see where it's rubbing. Then you can take a little off only where needed.
Steve

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2015, 01:16:57 PM »
Use a little blue (or other color) on one part and fit together. Pull apart to check and see where it's rubbing. Then you can take a little off only where needed.

do you have some sort of fetish for getting blue everywhere?  do smurfs need to be worried??

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2015, 12:22:29 PM »
 :lol: No Bertie, I hate the stuff, believe it or not!
Steve

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2015, 05:54:08 PM »
Remember that stuff the dentist use to give out to show people the spots they missed while brushing their teeth?

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2015, 12:10:15 PM »
well I did a small bit of filing on the pin and got the 10mm collet to slide in nicely, the 12 is a little tighter but ok.  unfortunately the 16mm and 6mm are very tight, they will go in, but require more force then I like.

measuring the collet diameter im getting 24.11mm on the two good ones and 24.12mm on the two that don't fit well. have tried spinning them up in the lathe and polishing the collet with some light emery, but not made much difference.

looks like they are about 1 thou oversize.

my cutters also turned up yesterday, . at my parents. . so wont be getting my hands on those for a while