The Shop > Composites & Plastics

shaping upholstery foam

<< < (2/3) > >>

steampunkpete:
On a few occasions we machined rubber for certain strange applications (no, not what you're thinking) but putting it in the freezer overnight. I wonder if that would work, or help, with foam materiel?  :scratch:

petertheterrible:
I believe it depends on the type of foam, with some high density foams freezing them would make them a breeze to machine.  (Especially the types made from soy-bean would stiffen when friezed).

I am skeptical if it would work on the foam commonly used in the upper parts of auto seats.

petertheterrible:
Problem solved, soak in water, then freeze and machine very quickly after freezing.

Beware, very messy!

AlanT:
Thanks for all the replies chaps.

The carving knife method is good for big straight cuts but you really want a double-blade type.

I'd never done upholstery before and had to work out a whole load of new tricks.

hopefuldave:
For sculpting motorbike seat foam (I suffer from Jack Russel syndrome - long body, short legs) I've always used a router motor with a 150 grit abrasive flap wheel, leaves a nice smooth flat finish.
Wear goggles and a good dust mask though, first time I felt like I had Something Serious for about 3 days afterwards...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version