Author Topic: Building a New Lathe  (Read 253713 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Building a New Lathe
« Reply #850 on: January 19, 2021, 07:09:40 AM »

Something like this?:

Sort of..... I use the actual vinyl, rather than the backing sheet. It doesn't crinkle in the laser printer, and so long as I put it through the laminator enough times (probably about 2-3 minutes worth) it seems to transfer 100% of the toner. I'll have to try the backing sheet.... and also, I do like his heated press, that's definitely one to add to the saved eBay searches!
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #851 on: January 19, 2021, 10:34:55 AM »
Thanks guys. I've seen many of the videos, too, and really haven't given it much of a shot yet -- just a simple couple of tries with what was immediately to hand. Three factors are: that the actual size of brass I have is 3.25" x 4.25" so the letters are necessarily fine lined, I don't own a laminator (though do have a model aircraft shrinking iron), and most likely, I wasn't getting the piece hot enough. My only try was on sheet aluminum actually, as a test, since I only have one piece of brass sheet.

To get enough heat and uniform temp, I have seen one person in a video use a skillet on a gas stovetop doing the transfer, heating the metal under, and pressing the paper down with a Teflon scraper.

I haven't tried anything further because I think I should not get sidetracked on that, rather I should finish the ELS and test it first. The lathe is 5 years in the making now. It would be good to finish it operationally while the iron is hot......wait, no, wrong expression....  :wack:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #852 on: January 19, 2021, 10:44:10 AM »
Having said that, now I can't get this transfer thing out of my mind........

ps. and to add to the distractions, the plasma cutter just arrived and is sitting in an unopened box. I'm doing my best to ignore it and forge on with the lathe's ELS........
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #853 on: January 19, 2021, 12:00:03 PM »
ps. and to add to the distractions, the plasma cutter just arrived and is sitting in an unopened box. I'm doing my best to ignore it and forge on with the lathe's ELS........

I can hear it calling you from all the way over here in Liverpool!!
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...