Author Topic: Repairing a high quality model marine engine  (Read 63127 times)

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Repairing a high quality model marine engine
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2009, 03:17:53 AM »
WoW!!  Ok I have never seen a R/C steam boat before... and that is one sweet machine there!

I have to say.. I love the hydros, and nitro boats.. but I think.. honestly I would rather have one of the steamers. Looks like a lot more fun. More to tweak and fiddle with.. and less to repair from crashes.  :doh:
SPiN Racing

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2009, 02:35:29 PM »
Thanks for showing John I had no idea how nice those boats were took a few pics of one at Horrogate but you get a better apreciation when you see them running.

Hi lifts the lid off a copper cylinder is that a condenser.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2009, 02:40:46 PM »
Stew,

I think it is a miniature hot water boiler for making tea. The one he opened the valve on top and blew the water over the side was the condenser.

John

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2009, 05:36:38 PM »
Well ............... I've spent a good part of this evening reading this thread and I have to say ............. it was worth evey minute  :thumbup:

Thank you John, as ever ............... first class, very informative and interesting, but most of all ............. dam fine reading  :headbang:

Dave

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2009, 06:18:30 PM »
So good to see you at it again John, It is so nice to see someone put that kind of work into a project. Thanks for posting for us to see.
Tim

bogstandard

« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2009, 03:01:25 AM »
Thank you gents for the nice comments.

I am a sucker for these types of engines, and if it is within my power to extend it's working life, then I will put heart and soul into making it so.

The main problems are getting the required information, luckily this owner had the plans for it, and a very good friend had the timing setup. So it made my life a lot easier.

I will do a vid of it when it is all reassembled.

John

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2009, 09:37:32 AM »
I have gone back and read this post from beginning to end twice. So a nice looking engine... John, the work you did and the parts you made go well with it. High quality indeed! You sir, are an artist at what you do. Thanks for the very interesting read.

That goes for anyone else... post it up... even if you think it is boring and no-one would be interested... we might just prove you wrong.

Thanks for taking the time to document John. I picked up quite a few pointers.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

bogstandard

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2009, 01:27:36 PM »
You are welcome Eric, just wish I could do a bit more.

Anyway, as I said, here is the last post. I have in fact done a fair amount to this engine, but I haven't catalogued it all. But I will point out the bits on the following pics.

When these engines are mounted into a model boat, most builders don't have machining facilities, so they do their best with what they have. Most put a couple of bearing beams stuck to the boat's framework, with a nut epoxied under the beams at the bottom of each mounting hole. They work great for a while, until you come to remove the engine. Over time, the wood absorbs all the oil and crap from the running engine, and eventually the epoxy loses it's grip. So when the mounting bolts are turned, the nuts turn with them, and the engine can't be removed. So the whole lot has to come out of the boat, usually making a bit of a mess of the internal woodwork.

In the pic on the left are the bearing beams that were still attached to the engine when I received it.
So as a gesture of goodwill for taking so long with this engine, I have made my customer a metal bedplate that can be fixed permanently into the boat, and the engine can be screwed and unscrewed from it when needed, I have also put a few extra engine mounting holes in it to allow a bit of fwd/backwards adjustment.

The next few pics show the finished engine.

I retimed the engine meticulously, and struck a fine balance to get it running the best it will ever run with this porting and linkage setup.

As you can clearly see, the new end and top plates have been fitted with acorn nuts, and the engine is sitting on it's new bedplate.

I modified the top of the lubricator by putting a large countersink into the top threads. This helps retain the o-ring seal and stops it being blown out of position by the pressure and also the screw top doesn't need to be tightened down too hard to form a seal.

This back end view shows the main bits I have made. All there was in the beginning was the fwd/rev lever, and even that wasn't fixed on in the right position. So as mentioned before, a link and friction system was designed and made, and it works perfectly. It allows the lever to go up and down, but stops the lever bounce that is usually associated with this type of linkage.
Also notice the linkage coming down from the lever.

This was designed and made to allow a servo to operate the fwd/rev lever, and by positioning the bellcrank where it is, allows a much easier connection to the servo. The link rod was made adjustable to allow very fine tuning of the linkage.

So basically gents, that is how I do it. It is a shame I have had to take so long over it. I just hope the customer is pleased when he receives it tomorrow.

So here is a little vid of it running, sorry it is not up to Ralph's standard, but it is the best I could do at the time.

Bogs

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2009, 01:43:40 PM »
Fantastico

:clap:   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:

I really enjoyed that, I can understand why you like those small engines so much.

Serprized  :bugeye: that you could throw them in revers wile still running.

Cheers

Stew

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2009, 02:46:13 PM »
Cracking little episode there again John, as usual I think most of us have really enjoyed the viewing.

Shame it has to come to an end, but then I suppose he'd want his engine back.....selfish or what.... :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2009, 04:07:16 PM »
Stew,

Most of these double acting engines have no problems changing over on the run. But can be a bit temperamental when running on low pressure air. When running on steam, they behave completely differently. That is because the steam is continually expanding, so is producing power all the time it is in the engine. Even at low pressures on steam, reversing is not a problem, whereas with air it is a bit hit and miss.

Your loco should be able to do the same thing, wheel spin and sparks.

Darren,

Actually I am glad it is finished, even though I really enjoy doing this sort of thing, at the moment I just can't cope. I have one more small job for a chap in Oz to do, then I am having to shut up shop for a while.

John

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2009, 07:02:13 PM »
Sweet little runner there John  :thumbup:

Like the frame too, much better than the brown stuff  :)

Enjoyed the thread and liked the fact I got to see the little beastie in person too  :ddb:

Videos... Well I don't like talking on mine, haven't quite got the voice for it!!  :lol:

Glad you made the effort to document it  :clap:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2009, 07:23:30 PM »
Very nice job John. Another superb thread by you. Learned a few things along the way as well. You even answered a question I was going to ask you. Must be ESP or something.

Don't like the sound of haveing to shut up the shop for a while. But I assume you need a bit of rest after all that work. :thumbup:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2009, 07:34:42 PM »

Don't like the sound of haveing to shut up the shop for a while.

No, that doesn't sound like much fun, I hope nothing too serious John.... :med:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2009, 11:29:55 PM »
Gorgeous piece of work there John.
Always a pleasure to see your work, and follow the progress along the way!!  :clap:

I hope after the next project things smooth out for you and you are able to ease back into the fun stuff when ready.  :thumbup:

Scott
SPiN Racing

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2009, 02:14:30 AM »
Thank you John......  :thumbup:

Another job done well. Shown and explained well too!  :clap:

Hope your other problems are soon sorted.......

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2009, 05:10:35 AM »
I too would like to thank you for taking the time to document this repair job in such a well covered, easy to follow way.  :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have to say that I always enjoy reading your build/repair/advice posts and would aspire to be able to explain things in a similar way.

I hope you wont have to stay away from your workshop for long.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

bogstandard

« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2009, 08:17:07 AM »
Just a little update.

The customer was very happy with all the work I had carried out on the engine.

But a very dark cloud hung over the proceedings.

I had very carefully packaged the engine up inside a very solid plastic storage box, which was then packed inside a larger cardboard box surrounded by crumpled up newspaper. On receipt, he noticed damage to the box exterior.

The picture shows the damage that was caused. Notice the 'ding in the plastic box lid.

Luckily only the copper pipe was damaged, and will be a relatively easy repair.

So if it will not straighten out perfectly, I will be making a claim on the insurance I paid for sending it.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2009, 08:52:09 AM »
Don't you just become fed up with the postal service that we actually pay for.... :bang:

All that care and effort you have personaly taken over this engine re-build, and they do this...

Thanks for letting us know the customer is still pleased though, job very well done  :clap:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2009, 09:28:47 AM »
Luckily only the copper pipe was damaged, and will be a relatively easy repair.

Still bloomin' annoying  :wack:   .............. glad the customer was pleased, mind you I'd have been very surprised if he hadn't  :scratch:

CC

bogstandard

« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2009, 05:08:25 PM »
Bit of an old resurrection going on here, but I thought you might be interested on how this engine is going on.

The gent who I did the work for sent me a link today

It is a bit of a long video, but I think he was carried away by being very proud of his boat, and by how well the engine performed after it was given a dose of looking at.

This engine will be returning to me in the near future, when my backlog subsides a bit, to have the bottom end refurbished. Then it should be good enough for another 40 years.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2009, 05:47:12 PM »
That's great.....even got a lump in me throat watching that.... :clap:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2009, 05:49:23 PM »
Bogs,

Nice job on that engine. Looks like a very smooth runner. I wonder if he runs on one boiler filing or weather he draws water from the pond. I don't remember seeing a water pump on it.

Nice vid, by the way.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2009, 08:49:31 PM »
Thats really awesome.. its really cool when you take the time and care to do something right. And to do a very special job (normal job at your level) of repairing, and refurbishing his baby... and then you see the result in the video of how much he treasures her. That really has to make it all worth it for you. Cause I am going on a limb here /WINK... I think you are not doing this stuff for the money  :)

Good stuff :)  Nice job John
SPiN Racing

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2009, 01:17:41 AM »
Real nice video that little boat is giving a great deal of pleasure to a lot of people.

Stew