The Craftmans Shop > Backyard Ballistics

Potato Cannon

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dave-R:
Aye Mick I normally secure it at the front with a peg in the ground but on this occasion I think I was a bit excessive with the black powder :doh:

Eric I must admit recoil didn't come into my initial calculations in fact there were no calculations that I can remember, as you would of witnessed with its trial firings i.e me hiding behind a wall with a longer piece of string :zap:

Awemawson as for use for re-enactment I've scoured the history books and can't find any major battle in uk history where the high velocity potato was an effective projectile

vtsteam:
Where did the potato go?

SwarfnStuff:
Vtsteam, Probably still in orbit? OR, perhaps a spud shaped cloud someplace?

awemawson:

--- Quote from: Dave-R on March 04, 2015, 06:13:02 PM ---

Awemawson as for use for re-enactment I've scoured the history books and can't find any major battle in uk history where the high velocity potato was an effective projectile

--- End quote ---

A little bit of 'point missing' there I think!

steampunkpete:
On the one hand I don't want to come across as a H&S killjoy. On the other hand I've seen the aftermath of accidents on people's lives, and on one unforgettable occasion saw a death occur. One lesson that I took from that is never walk away when something needs to be said.

However you boil it down, and a fun thing as it is, there is enough energy tied up in that to cause serious injury, and it seems clear that the necessary care isn't being taken. Apart from the recoil, the guy loading it walked in front of the muzzle when it was loaded. Those of you who are archers or shooters will understand the significance of that.

Hmm, I think Eric may have been tactful here.

Have fun, but have fun safely, you really don't want to be remembered as a recipient of the Darwin Award.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version