Author Topic: Mill Power feed  (Read 64182 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Mill Power feed
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2009, 02:31:56 AM »
I think that is really something you have done there Ralph.  :clap:

With the gearing you should be able to keep the motor turning faster and therefore smoother.

One thing to watch, my power supply has given up the ghost. It seems that although they are capable of producing up to 24V the components inside are not.

Something I overlooked was the voltage rating of the caps, mine are rated at 16V and whilst I've been running at mostly 5V or so the occasional burst of higher has cooked them.
No problem, I'll swap em out, but just be careful with yours and have a look at the cap ratings.... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2009, 02:41:21 AM »
Thanks Darren  :)

I'll investigate the electrics thursday or so..... Should be interesting  :zap:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2009, 03:47:28 AM »
Nicly Done Ralph

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm taking all this in for when I do my mill.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2009, 12:42:39 PM »
Cheers Stew  :thumbup:

Yours shouldn't be half as complex as this one.... you guys and your two handled luxury   ::) 

Pool tonight :)   Better win this week!!!  :bang:

Ralph.

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2009, 03:06:25 PM »
Super work Ralph!!!
So many ideas, so little skill

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2009, 08:00:03 PM »
David, Much appreciated :thumbup:

You can have a go at your veriety of mill' as soon as we figure out some workings and send you the motor parts  :dremel:

FYI....(just because I mentioned it above)  Personally lost my pool match  :(  But the team won  :D

Ralph.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2009, 05:06:11 AM »
Ralph, how did you make the curves on this piece?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2009, 05:18:22 AM »
I spent yesterday repairing my power supply, back up and running now  :)

Also I dug out another unit and modded it for the purpose of making a donation to a needy cause. Spent several hours on it only to watch an op-amp fall off... :bugeye:

All the legs had rusted through, 8 of em. I have found a source for some new ones but at 8 quid each and a min order of ten it's a no go. Shame, it was a really nice power supply at 8 amps.
I'm going to have another dig around today to see what I may be able to find.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2009, 10:11:51 AM »
Ralph, how did you make the curves on this piece?

Eye hand coordination  :dremel:  :)  (Did the same kind of thing on my camera mounting http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=285.0)

Normal end mill (top of pic) and controling the wheels.... Not that easy... I quite often get confused right at the end and drive the cutter the wrong way  :doh:
Plan is, very small movements till you know which way your going!!

Worked quite well this time though.... Didn't need them.... It's a way larger slot than needed, but it looked better with them   :headbang:

What's the op-amp look like, numbers etc... I have many circuit boards here with bits on.... Is there nothing suitable on the boards I left with you?
Got to be able to find one for less than 8 notes??

Ralph.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2009, 10:34:32 AM »
I see, in that case well done.... :clap:

Don't worry about the op-amp, I've decided to start fresh and build a circuit from scratch using all new parts.

I've built the circuit, well two of them, and have been testing them for the last couple of hours. I had one with two motors running to make sure it could handle the pressure.

worked fine I'm glad to say.  :)

I'm actually building them for my valve amp and wanted something small and tidy. But they will work the motors just as well, in fact they have been  :ddb:

Low part count, easy circuit as most of it is in the chip and even that only has 3 connections.

Bits you have as follows....
one rectifier, two caps, one transformer

Bits you don't have
one 1k lin pot, one chip LM1084 rated at 5 amps,

You will need something to mount it on and some wire, which you may have...

There really is nothing to it if you are interested I can give more details. It will run 12 & 24V motors.

Mine need to run at 10A each for the valves,  so I'm sticking a 2N3055 on the end, well a pair of them in fact. You can do the same, it's simple enough and would help the LM1084 to run cool instead of hot. But it can take it. Besides it has it's own build in protecting circuit so you can't damage it anyway.

If that all sounds too much, don't worry I can show you step by step if need be, I can always build another one and do a post a day for each component with pictures :lol:

When you have done it once you'll find all sorts of things you want to power and make some more...... :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2009, 10:42:38 AM »
Congratulations.... You've just talked yourself into a mini how to post about making this circuit  :thumbup:    :zap:

I'll be eager to read it by lets say Friday evening  :lol: 

Well ok, when ever.... But I am interested... As I'm sure David (TS) and Stew are :thumbup:

If you link to the parts etc that would be good too :thumbup:

Ralph. :ddb:

bogstandard

« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2009, 10:47:17 AM »
Ralph,

You forgot the bit about making them and posting them to everyone. :lol:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2009, 10:50:24 AM »
oh ek....... :lol:

Well if anyone really gets stuck I will, hows that?

But I want to see you try first...does that sound fair....... :ddb:

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2009, 11:00:21 AM »
Fair Enough.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2009, 11:21:02 AM »
Here you go, all the info you could ever need in this pic

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Messy bugger arn't I  :lol:

It's powering two motors there as I write this post, prob been running 3 hrs now.

Ok, this is it, all that's needed is to connect the transformer and pot and it's done

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2009, 05:39:51 PM »
Ok, so that I can do.... Does it have to be that messy?

I'm sure I can tidy my bench up a little if it has to be the same!  :ddb:

Seriously, I have some vero board here that has been knocking around for a few years it certainly would suffice.

I just need the relevant info and a quick circuit (what goes to where) diagram and I'll be off  :thumbup:

Good work that man.... And it's only Wednesday!!    :nrocks:

If we organise the list and who wants what and where the bits go then I'll be happy to put circuits together too :zap:   I can solder quite efficiently, I just need to know what I'm soldering where!

I'm liking where this thread is going :thumbup:

Ralph.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »
I'm having a bit of a problem, Looking around to order some parts...

I have used a LT1084 adj regulator, they used to be two a penny avail almost anywhere.

Now most electronics outlets have dropped them and I can only find them for around 8-10 quid a go.
For a chip on its own that is just plain silly, you might as well buy a ready made module....

50p each would be reasonable. I'll keep looking but if anyone can recommend an alternative please speak up :ddb:

The only other way would be to use a LM317 with a 2n3055, but I've never liked the 317's cos they are so finiky.

I'll keep looking......

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2009, 06:57:32 PM »
I've got a LM340T5 and a UA7812C on a circuit board in my hand..... Any good? I don't know what they do?

I'll check for more tomorrow  :)

Ralph.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2009, 07:15:27 PM »
The first one is a 5V regulator so no, dunno about the second.......have to look it up

But, I've just bought ten LM338T's, never used them before but I think they will work....otherwise it's a different circuit and I know this one is reliable cos I've used it for years.

Fingers crossed..... :ddb:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 07:26:25 PM by Darren »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2009, 07:21:47 PM »
Ralph, the second is a 1.5A 12v reg, useful, but not here.  :thumbup:

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2009, 12:13:31 AM »
OK Gang.. I see some awesomely good designs.

I LOVE my power feed on my mill. I was kinda indifferent when I got it, because I had no idea how useful it was.... Until I cut dovetails in the 34" long tool steel plate I am getting ready to divvy up for new tool holders for the lathe.

SOOOO

Here is the question.

Why not put a ratchet mechanism in the drive?  Like the head of a 3/8" ratchet??  SO that while feeding.. If you are not close enough to the work after a pass.. you simply hand crank it closer. WHen you stop, if the ratchet mechanism is set properly, it will feed with power.
If you feed in the other direction, it simply ratchets, and has no load. So you could feed across a part.. then hand crank it in the other direction fast, and it would simply free ratchet.

I know of a type of drag racing transmission.. and I forget the name.. but IIRC it is similar to a helicopter transmission in that it only transmits power under load. Once the engine quits, or slows.. the transmission disengages and the vehicle or blades free wheel/spin.

Scott
SPiN Racing

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2009, 04:04:33 PM »
Hey guys...

Just read up on this...some good stuff..

One thing though I noticed..there's a theme running through this thread...

You are all running with a voltage regulator of sorts to power the motor for differing speeds....

Sorry but its the wrong way to do it...The lower the voltage the lower the torque from the motor...

Answer...use a pulse width modulated supply...

Arrghhh whats that you say?
Well its a bit of magic elecriccery that pulses the motor with the full supply voltage for a short period of time to make the motor go slow or applies the full supply voltage for a long period of time to make it go faster....

Want proof?

Easy....Take your motor and connect the wires across a car battery...hold them there for a minute or two...the motor runs fast yes? now flash one wire across one terminal or just dab it on and off...the motor now runs very briefly and soesnt run up to full speed but still has full power from the battery..... and max torque too...

I could cobble up summat if anyone  wants.....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2009, 04:13:36 PM »
I'm with you here John,

Although in practice lower voltages and torque don't seem to cause any problems, the motor still turns and the table still moves smoothly. The reality is that very little power is needed to move a mill bed. Even the bigger machines use small motors. Then you have to factor in the gearing ratios that keep the motor speed up whilst the output shaft speed is low.

However, I personally would like to see what you have in mind as the alternative.... :ddb:

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2009, 04:27:55 PM »
I would tend to use a 555 timer configured as an astable with variable mark/space ratio to give the pwm..Use a mosfet as the power driver device...something like an IRF 540...cobbled together the parts should be less than a fiver excluding tranformer etc...

Need the drawing?  no probs..

I just bought a wiper motor from Ebay for £12...from a Ford Fiesta...that ought to do it..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290325646440
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 04:36:10 PM by John Rudd »
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2009, 05:36:23 AM »
I have a question John....

If say you wanted half speed, you would set the timer to pulse the power delivered for 50% cycle time...

Wouldn't 50% on 50% off at full power be the same as 50% power continuous ?

eg, take 1HP for simplicity sake,     1/(100/50)= 1/2 power/torque

Also what about this pulsing power, I realise the freq would be high, but it would be pulsing all the same wouldn't it?