Author Topic: Line boring question...  (Read 3318 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Line boring question...
« on: March 08, 2015, 03:45:51 AM »
I am making a part for my monster stepper motor project  (moving the gantry on my cnc router table using a repurposed washing machine motor) and I need to bore for two ball bearing races.

I have made a cylinder 55mm x 120mm long with screwed plugs in each end of about 15mm thick.  I need to fit a bearing at each end and inside the cylinder there will be a worm that will engage with a gear through a window cut in the side of the cylinder.  One bearing is about 45mm diam and the other, which I dont have yet, will be quite a bit smaller.

Now the question is how do I bore the bearing space in each end plug when I dont have any way of mounting it on my lathe saddle for line boring? :scratch:

From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline PekkaNF

Re: Line boring question...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 06:44:16 AM »
I am having a little bit same type problem with my hydraulic (broach) press project. Three members and three holes on each of them fairly concentric and close to same size.

I have been toying between making a faceplate to either lathe and boring the buggers (one ath the time = jig, or using turners buttons and all at once - one hole at the time)
OR making a boring bar and sandwich plate that I can pepper with holes.

On old books lot of people used (hard)wood block as spacer, but they had T-slots. I take it from your questions you don't have T-slots on your cross slide?

You have only one hole to do can you take cross slide out and maybe there is slot for crew or something you can use to bolt on a spacer and there you can bolt on your contraption?

Pekka

Offline wgw

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 07:33:31 AM »
I don't know what lathe you have, could you drill and tap the cross-slide ? I have a Chester DB8 and there is plenty of metal over the gibs. I did 6 off M6. Did them freehand cos' I was in a hurry at the time ,but best taken off and done properly. Works well and very useful.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 04:07:05 PM »
Thanks for the comments.. :thumbup:

My lathe is the same as  Chester's Crusader so no T slots although the tops of the cross slide is flat,  I have often considered drilling and tapping holes.

However I have managed to locate a milling slide that mounts on the cross slide and I found a piece to make a boring bar.  It will be somewhat interesting but I think I now have all the required parts. :coffee:

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:03:51 PM by John Hill »

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 05:04:29 PM »
John, you don't have all the required parts?
Did you mean, do have?

What's missing if you don't?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 06:04:22 PM »
Errr, you are right, I have edited my post! :Doh: