The Shop > Finishing

Electric etching

<< < (2/6) > >>

RobWilson:
Hi Joules

That slash looks fairly deep  :thumbup:

I just used a bowl of warm 50 deg C  Ferric Chloride ( no  :zap: needed) , chuck the part in that for an hour  :) . I will do a how to with photos .

Rob

vtsteam:
If you're doing an electric etch and using common materials like salt for the electrolyte and the amount of etched surface is large (as on a nameplate) vs small (as initials on a bowl or countertop) immersing the object in a dish of the electrolyte would seem to make sense, rather than using an electrified brush.

Masking is only as good as the mask is, and as the etch goes deeper, there will be a tendency to undercut the mask -- but how much will also depend on the etching method, etchant strength, whether there are bubbles and/or circulation, temperature, time to etch, depth, and in electro-etching, the current flowing. In other words, there's a lot of things to play with, and I bet experience with one or the other will gradually refine towards a method that suits a particular person's aims. You're doing exactly that with experimentation.  :thumbup:

The etches look great, btw!

Joules:
A bit of work in progress.  To advance things on a bit from cotton buds I have just printed a carrier on the works 3D printer that uses an O ring to hold a cotton wool pad.  The under side of the carrier takes a stainless steel insert thats wired through the handle.  Just a bit neater and should work nicely with some small stencils I have in mind.

On the to do list is etching a stainless plate in a saline bath to find out what combination of time and voltage works best.   

vtsteam:
Deluxe!  :beer:

RobWilson:

--- Quote from: Joules on February 27, 2015, 11:16:38 AM --- To advance things on a bit from cotton buds I have just printed a carrier on the works 3D printer . 

--- End quote ---

:jaw:  now thats just showing off  Joules :lol: :lol:  ,mmmmm    why haven't I got a 3D printer  :scratch: anyway ,

I have some fines SS mess that would do for backing the cotton pad , willing to stick a bit in the post if you would like some  :thumbup:

Rob

Forgot :   Print looks cracking  :clap: :clap:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version