Author Topic: Locking a screw thread?  (Read 4575 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Locking a screw thread?
« on: February 03, 2015, 02:53:06 AM »
I am building my cnc router table to use roller chain drive for the long axis and there is a need to anchor screwed bicycle sprockets to shafts.

The thread is 1.37" 24tpi.  The shaft will reverse in operation and I really, really, do not want these sprockets to come unscrewed,  what suggestions can I have please?

Thanks 
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Re: Locking a screw thread?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 03:27:11 AM »
Make a collet with set screws that goes in to the thread, or try to create two jam nuts?
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 03:52:04 AM »
Bore the thread off, and either weld or loctite a suitable hub for your shaft
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 03:59:17 AM »
For a fixed wheel sprocket there used to be a locking ring available , if not turn down another sprocket as a lock ring .
Jeff

Offline RussellT

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 04:12:13 AM »
In my experience it's a waste of time trying to bore the thread off or trying to turn another sprocket down.  They're very hard.

Make a plain unthreaded close fitting hub and weld the sprocket on.  Take your choice of how to fix the hub.

Russell
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:33:29 AM by RussellT »
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Online philf

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 05:12:29 AM »
For a fixed wheel sprocket there used to be a locking ring available , if not turn down another sprocket as a lock ring .

Jeff,

You can still buy the fixed wheel locking rings but they have a left handed thread. The locking thread is smaller than the 1.37".

Phil
Phil Fern

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 06:12:29 AM »
There is a standard that covers locking threaded components used in certain safety applications - that is where the threaded component becoming loose or detached would cause a hazard.
The standard does not preclude bespoke solutions, but there are a number of pre-approved locking methods. With one exception, the methods are characterised by being both positive and visually inspectable.  Castellated nuts + split pins and wire-locking come to mind from memory. A single fixing relying on a thread locking compound is not accepted, being considered too unreliable for safety purposes as well as not being inspectable.

I'm assuming that the sprocket is held onto the shaft by a screwed collar (I'm not familiar with bicycles - a photo with the post would be good).  Taking the safety standard as a lead, personally I would go for wire locking the collar to the shaft or a split-pin through the shaft.

Alternatively, a pin through the sprocket into the shaft flange behind the sprocket - again difficult without seeing whether there is such a flange.

Does this thing need to come apart again - for repair or maintenance? If not can it be brazed?

Come to think of it:  :worthless:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »
In my experience it's a waste of time trying to bore the thread off or trying to turn another sprocket down.  They're very hard.

Make a plain unthreaded close fitting hub and weld the sprocket on.  Take your choice of how to fix the hub.

Russell

Carbide tool would have no problem whatsoever. (If the sprocket is fully hard (ie untempered) it would soon crack in use)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 02:01:34 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, I will be making a hub for each sprocket.  There are three to do and having bought then new from the local cycle shop I am taking very good care of them! :coffee:

I think I will put extra thread on the hubs then screw on the sprocket followed by a lock ring followed by a dab from my welder then if I have to take a sprocket off the hub I can grind the weld off.
From the den of The Artful Bodger