Author Topic: Anyone have experience of the Evolution Rage twinsaw counter-rotating blade saw?  (Read 5807 times)

Offline edward

As above really. Was looking at one to cut off the bottom 25mm of some skirting that might have a few nails in it. Apparently they will cut up to 6mm steel with a clean finish so a bit of nail ridden skirting shouldn't hurt.

They have B-grade manufacturer approved recons for £25 in their ebay shop so was thinking might be worth a punt. Almost disposable at that price.

Offline John Rudd

I don't have that particular model, but do have the Evo Rage 355mm cut off saw with the carbide tipped blade....cut thru 1/2in steel plate no bother...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Pete W.

Hi there, John,

Have you tried your saw on cast iron? 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline John Rudd

Errrr....come to think of it, I can't remember if I have :scratch:....

I've cut steel and ally definitely ......
See no reason for it not to cut...after all it's still ferrous metal....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline edward

I have a Rage TCT blade sliding chopsaw that I use on wood and ali and it is pretty good. That is just a conventional blade and I was wondering how good the counter-rotating blade saws work. The videos on the site show one being used like an angle grinder, but I have problems trusting company-made videos and you chaps seem to have used all sorts on here.

My late Grandfather would be amazed at all the stuff we have nowadays - he worked as a joiner for 55 years and the most automation he had was a Yankee screwdriver, and that was apparently only for 'butchers jobs':)

Offline dawesy

I have that chop saw too. Used it to cut some 316SS (had to buy the SS blade at £40) cut through it like butter.
I've even used the blade in my circular saw ( same rpm and has a metal guard) cut some 4mm steel plate very nicely.
Lee.
wishing my workshop was larger :(

Offline Manxmodder

Edward, are you intending to cut the bottom off skirting that is fitted in situ,or loose lengths that could be put through a table saw?

If you are cutting 25 mm off the bottom of in situ then I use an oscillating blade multicut type tool as made by Fein,Bosch and now a lot of other generic brand names.

Here is a link just to give you some ideas as to the versatility of this type of tool

.......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline edward

Manx, yes, in situ. Old so not sure where nails are and I have about 50 linear metres of it to do. I have a fein tool and it is awesome for a lot of stuff but it is quite slow and from experience doesn't cope with nails too well using a blade that is also good and quick on wood. The Fein was my plan until I saw these on the Evolution recon shop and it set me wondering if it would be quicker.

I would love to whip it off and chop it down or replace but it is an old and fragile house and the owner wants to keep the 'original features' so the fastest job with the least disturbance would be good.

Anyhoo, for £25 I have decided to 'risk it for a biscuit' and order one from the recon store. I will try it on some scrap and then in an inconspicuous place on the job first. Will let you all know if it lives up to promises made, or if I loose a finger or two in the process:)

Offline edward

It turned up today. For an alledged 'B-grade' recon stock it was basically brand new in box, blades not used and still in all the original protective wrapping. Even the blow moulded box has nice metal clasps and a quality feel.

The tool itself is satisfyingly heavy and has a really solid feel to it. The gearbox looks really solid. Side handle and main guard are strong looking and appear to be removable/adjustable if you want. The only slightly flimsy looking bit is the clear blade guard but I suspect it is stronger than it looks.

Did about 10m of skirting today using a thin bit of ply against the guard to keep it the right height off the floor. Went through it like a knife through butter in no time at all. Didn't hit a nail, but nice to know if you do it won't matter too much. No kickback even when plunging in. Chucks a fair bit of dust about but then so would a big circular saw.

Ine potential downside is the cut is quite wide (2 blades wide in fact :)). Not a problem in most applications but somethi g to be aware of.

Overall based on one day of use on wood, impressed. Feels nice, heavy and solid. In a few weeks I have ajob to do with metal racking like dexion, will see how it cuts that but I am expecting to be impressed.

Offline edward

Oh, and it isn't any good for internal corners, being circular and all that, so the Fein tool needs to come out for that bit.

Offline Manxmodder

Hi Ed, glad to hear you're happy with your new purchase and it does the job.

Just for your interest next time you need to buy some fein saw blades there are some really good value packs available from Shark saw blades and Sabre blades on ebay/Amazon. Just reordered some myself.....Oz.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline edward

Hi Manx. Good to know those shark blades are good as the Fein ones are excitingly expensive!

Another 25m or so to do tomorrow. For a job I was dreading I am looking forward to it in a peverse kind of way. I guess that means the saw is doing its job well!