Author Topic: New project, semi internal combustion atmospheric engine!  (Read 18545 times)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: New project, semi internal combustion atmospheric engine!
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 05:46:56 PM »
I generally buy a couple of metres at a time, from these guys.....   
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ceramic-Fire-Stove-Rope-Various-Sizes-/331129534946?pt=UK_HG_FireplacesMantelpieces_RL&var=&hash=item4d18dbb9e2

Not far from me. Though, I do realise, they're a bit far away from John......  :palm:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »

Raw  materials..
IMGP2123 by MrJohnHill, on Flickr

11tpi thread on the bit of aluminium bar..
IMGP2124 by MrJohnHill, on Flickr

Pipe cap screws on nicely..
IMGP2125 by MrJohnHill, on Flickr
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 08:28:19 PM »

Turn down the pipe cap..
IMGP2126 by MrJohnHill, on Flickr

Part it off and mill a slot to make room for the connecting rod,  an aluminium piston with cast iron outer..
IMGP2127 by MrJohnHill, on Flickr

I would have liked the pipe cap to have been a little deeper.. :scratch:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 10:19:25 PM »
At last,  a chance to use my Keats angle plate!

IMGP2129 by MrJohnHill, on Flickr

There seems to be a few variations being called Keats angle plates but I think this is the original style,  stamped made in Exeter.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 11:25:31 PM »
I thought I might try a welded crankshaft for this project as it will require two crank throws and I need it to be rigid.  However I have been warned against warping etc. 

I thought I would give it a try anyway with a simple single throw crank and trying to reduce/avoid warping by welding only on the ends of the shaft.

The bits before welding..

The ends of the crankpin welded..

... when it cooled the long shaft was still a slide fit.

Shaft welded then piece cut out...

Although there is no obvious warping this is not 100% satisfactory.  The main problem is that I welded in the wrong order.  I should have welded the shaft first  and the crank pin last.  The consequence of doing it the way I did is that the shaft welds are really nothing more than tacks. 

Alignment will be more difficult if the shaft is to be cut before welding but that can be solved by welding scraps to a plate and milling a series of 'V' supports.  I need to think on this a bit.... :coffee:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2014, 03:12:30 AM »

I had a chance to get back on to this project and made the two cylinders and water jackets.   :coffee:

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 08:06:10 AM »
Hi John,just a couple of thoughts on fuel and wicks. Lighter fluid as used in Zippo type lighters burns very clean,is easily ignited and resists being snuffed out by draft or breeze so may be worth investigating.

On the subject of wicks,I am a user of electronic vapourising cigarettes and use 3mm silica glass fibre wick to rebuild my vapourisers.

Here is a link to an ebay silica ecig wick seller: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/161012184899?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

Also on the subject of glow plug wire,the ecigs use canthal wire for the hot vapourising coil and this can also be purchased in various resistance values from sellers on ebay and other sites.

Link to canthal wire on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=kanthal+resistance+wire&_nkwusc=canthal+resistance+wire&_rdc=1

......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2014, 09:57:22 PM »
John, any further word on this engine? Did you try the oven soldering mentioned elsewhere?

A friend of mine, a whitesmith, did some forge brazing as a demo for me when I asked him about it. It was a piece of cake to him, and he brazed a couple of fairly massive pieces together in a couple of minutes. Basically it was just a matter of wiring the two pieces together temporarily, so they wouldn't move, heating the assembly in the forge, and applying the braze rod, which wicked in by capillary action, almost instantly.

The oven soldering should work similarly at a much lower temperature in any oven capable of 450F or so.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2014, 02:38:22 AM »
Hi Vsteam, I never got to try the oven soldering!  I guess I wimped out somewhat!

I brazed a couple of the major bits so they would be stable then used a hot air gun and a big soldering iron to tin all the mating surfaces then heated each piece and sweated it in to place using more hot air where required.

Maybe a forge would be easier than an oven, but I dont have either!

I wondered about forge brazing, what happens to the flux?  Did he apply any or just clean the metal to bright?

John

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2014, 08:35:14 AM »
Hey John great to here you back! I don't remember completely, but I think he did not apply any flux. I remember thinking, gee, this looks a lot easier and faster than what I always end up doing (and my results also were a lot more iffy). And the heavier the mass of the parts, the worse it is, for me, normally. Takes a lot of heating to get something big red hot with a torch. He was using coal, by the way, and buried the parts in it to start with while applying draft.

I've seen a lot of impromptu forges online made out of just about anything (brake drums, baking pans, bricks,) , and even remember from Weyger's blacksmithing books a vertical forge made of a gallon paint can, with some stovepipe chimney for draft, hung from a tree. Seems to me just about any receptacle, supplied with any form of draft, given some charcoal will probably do the trick. True, purpose built forges with insulation, a blower, propane burner, etc. might be classier and more efficient, but no reason not to try to use what's available, rather than go without --- if our interest is up.....  that's my tendency  :) :beer:

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg