The Shop > Tools
7x12 clarke cl300m lathe - changing tool post making milling machine!
<< < (8/9) > >>
bogstandard:
Jason,

I have just backtracked on that ebay mill, and it went for an amazing price of less than £300. Someone got a good buy. I just wonder how much further he would have gone if there was another bidder to take up the challenge.

Chris,

Arc Euro and RDG are my two main buying sources, but Arc Euro knocks spots off RDG for delivery and customer support, even though they don't have the same large range as RDG, but some of the cheaper RDG tools are pure tat, sold as stocking fillers, whereas with Arc, everything I have had from them has been top grade stuff.

I have also noticed that a lot of RDG prices have risen sharply since moving to their new premises. Someone has to pay the rent, this time it is the customer.

Don't get me wrong, RDG is good to deal with and has a good range, but sometimes, some of the smaller items can be a bit suspect. Put it this way, never again will I buy centre drills and drill sets from there, not up to the quality I like.

John
raynerd:
Really pleased that their mail service is as good...  just a pitty they don`t do some of the model lathe accessories that ArcEuroTrade stock - toolpost holders, vertical slide attachment, brass gibs...bla bla.

I did mention buying a vertical slide for my lathe and he mentioned that a cheap way to get a similar setup was to buy this "L" shaped piece of steel he sold, I forget what he called it. Then drill this so that it will screw to the compound slide. You don`t have full control of vertical movement but by clamping your piece at the correct height gives you some vertical movement. The L shape steel costs £12 but then I guess you would need a set of clamps and before you know it, you are near the £75 price tag of a vertical slide. Just a thought...anyone used this setup. It is almost an even cheaper setup than shown in the link on my first post.

Chris
raynerd:
Yea, that mill went for £250 !! I had my eye on it only it was miles away from me in Kent! :(

Chris
raynerd:
Hey guys - what do you think of this:

Any info on it welcome - it comes with 3-1/4" new swivel machine vice, 2-1/2" dia insert-face mill tool, 6-13mm drill chuck, small autolock chuck with 4 imperial collets (1/4 - 3/8 - 1/2 - 5/8 dia) plus 5 of number 2 morse vertical milling cutters.
The asking is £600 which seems on the steap side but being right on my doorstep I wonder if it doesn`t sell could I knock it down?

EDIT: just spoke to my wife and the answer is NO apparently regardless of price!  :( :doh: I`m going to have to stick to my £300 limit...

Chris

Darren:
I believe he's listed it 3 times now with no bids, so you could try...

As to if it's any good I have no idea as it's not familiar to me, hopefully someone will be able to help there.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version