Author Topic: Eva-Ballscrews? Feasibility study!  (Read 5435 times)

Offline hopefuldave

Eva-Ballscrews? Feasibility study!
« on: September 17, 2014, 11:54:20 AM »
Hi all, this is just a thought I want to throw out, trying to find ways around a requirement for something I'm planning to build (at the Crap-O-CAD stage at the moment)...

I'd like to build a linear actuator but with some constraints - it needs to be compact, have about a 3/4" linear movement and do it with about 90-degrees of shaft rotation - yes, that's about a 3" lead if it were threads! Also, I want to make it "bidirectional", so that it can be actuated by the shaft rotation, or the shaft can be rotated by linear action. I guess that for this I'd ideally want a helix angle close to 45 degrees?

A regular multi-start thread would work, but the 3" pitch is going to be hard to machine conventionally by screwcutting (my lathe only goes down to 2tpi), and I'm pretty convinced that friction is going to make it a non-starter. I could thread mill it, by messing with change gears and mounting a milling spindle on the carriage (at a suitable angle for the thread), but I'd still be worried by the friction in the actuator...

An alternative that I thought of was a short ballscrew, minimal friction, multi-start and it should be able to accommodate the needed pitch and helix angle, but I've not found any online so far, which brings me to a Daft Idea:

If I were to thread mill the shaft, using for example a 1/4" endmill tangential to the shaft at 45 degrees, I could make the shaft fairly easily (for certain values of easy involving indexing the starts, fiddling with change gears) with half-circular ball tracks;

a number of precision rods the same diameter as the intended bearing balls could be tightly wrapped around the shaft in the ball tracks, ends turned out at 90 degrees to mimic the path of the recirculating balls and brought out through an outer shell;

the ends of the shell could be blanked off (with the shaft passing through at each end) and a Suitable Plastic or resin poured/injected in to fill the remaining space;

the shaft could then be unscrewed, the rods removed carefully into the space formerly occupied by it, and I should be left with a ball-nut, just needing balls and return channels to be added to complete it.

I've left out things like boring (relieving) the nut for clearance, mould release, choice of plastic/resin (DIY Moglice-alike?), but so far I can't see any impossibilities in the process - so I must have missed something! This doesn't need leadscrew accuracy, it's simply an actuator moving the end of a lever through 3/4" or so remotely via the shaft (and the shaft has to rotate, I can't just use a pushrod, I need axial movement to do something else!), repeatability matters but it doesn't need to be to better than maybe a 16th or 32nd of an inch.

OK, what have I missed?
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Offline Noitoen

Re: Eva-Ballscrews? Feasibility study!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:59:52 PM »
Much easier to use a crankshaft type of actuator. They are used in some electronic safe locks. Think cylinder/piston long piston without cylinder head.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 01:19:48 PM »
Sounds like a twist cylinder. Could be also a rack and pinion. It's prety hard very good multi start thread. Any chance of using a ready made parts like:
http://www.anaheimautomation.com/products/stepper/stepper-linear-actuator-item.php?sID=135&pt=i&tID=130&cID=52

http://www.haydonkerk.com/?TabId=86

Pekka

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:17:20 PM »
Thanks gents, not really what I was asking!

Firstly, no room for a crank, I've got a space about 2" x 2" and 6" along the shaft axis, narrowing to about 1&1/2", and the linear movement has to be along the shaft axis - there''s also some other gubbins to fit in the available space... It has to fit within an existing machine's gearbox!

That actuator is outside the parameters, I want it to be purely mechanical! Can't see how I'd be able to make it reversible either, so the actuated (linear movement) part could rotate the shaft...

So... Any comments on the idea I outlined?

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 02:56:09 PM »
It sounds you wanna make a roller screw..

Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 03:12:43 PM »
Sooo? You need sort of coaxial structure and you don't want to use parts of rotary linear actuator? Some I have seen multi start threads and fiting plastic nut, that didn't look too hard to remove from the stepper motor. Those were about 5-10 mm diameter from my memory.

That sort of stuff:
http://www.motioncontrolonline.org/images/Dec19_07_fig1.jpg

They tend to cost, if you need to buy them only one:
http://www.jagsonsindustries.com/screw.html

I have seen rotary cylinder actuators least up to 100mm diameter.

Pekka

Offline naffsharpe (Nathan)

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 04:26:32 PM »
Seems like you need the linear movement of a starter motor Bendix drive ?
Nathan

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 04:45:28 PM »
Nathan, it was seeing parts of a Bendix that inspired (?) me!

The Jagson multi-start looks the part, has the roughly 45-degree helix needed so that either "direction" could drive the other, any clues on price? Thanks for the link, Pekka!

Neo, a critical part of the design is the approx. 3" pitch to the screw, as I said in my original post, I NEED about 3/4" of linear movement from 90-degrees of shaft rotation - not going to get that from a roller screw like in your pic!

It's beginning to look like a multi-start thread on the shaft and an EvaNut moulded round it could work, I'll have a play once the house move is over...

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 06:12:07 AM »
Apologies for the hiatus, house fell through but a much better one.now rented, still in chaos (moving a week before Xmas...) but should have the garage cleared of.boxes and painted / wired in a few weeks and the machines soon after, normal service will resume shortly!