Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Tapered gibs.

(1/3) > >>

websterz:
I started work on the tapered gibs for my 7x12 today. I am making the gibs out of ali-bronze. It is some beautiful stuff to mill and flycut but it does NOT like slitting saws. I ended up using my 4 1/2" grinder with a slicing disc to cut off strips to work with in the mill. I got sidetracked doing a buddy's taxes and had to stop for the night. I will finish up and post pics tomorrow.  :dremel:

bogstandard:
W,

I cut mine on a old 3 wheel vertical bandsaw, and just like milling, it cuts like a hot knife thru butter. Maybe you had the slitting saw going a bit too slow (or what I have done myself before now, the teeth facing the wrong way).

It will be good to see how you get around the problems that crop up.

John

websterz:

--- Quote from: bogstandard on April 14, 2009, 09:11:11 PM ---W,

I cut mine on a old 3 wheel vertical bandsaw, and just like milling, it cuts like a hot knife thru butter. Maybe you had the slitting saw going a bit too slow (or what I have done myself before now, the teeth facing the wrong way).

It will be good to see how you get around the problems that crop up.

John

--- End quote ---

I tried various speeds and feeds, different saws, it just didn't want to be cut that way.  :bang: I DID notice a bit of rise and fall, maybe my saw arbor isn't as good as I think it is. I made it myself...can't imagine it not running true.  :lol:

As for the problems that will creep into the project, I will strive to get past them in true madmodder fashion!  :mmr:

bogstandard:
Yep, been there myself, annoying when it doesn't go to expected plan.

Thin saw blades do wobble a bit sometimes, until the cut gets started, so you are not alone.

--- Quote ---As for the problems that will creep into the project, I will strive to get past them in true madmodder fashion!
--- End quote ---

And your attitude is spot on.

I like seeing follow on articles. Maybe I had the worst one in the world to do, and just watch, yours will go smooth as silk.

Best of luck on your project.

Bogs

websterz:
Smooth as silk? Ummm...no. :bang:

It is so easy to get mixed up when you forget to mark your parts. I ended up scrapping the first set, they just finally got too thin to use. I took the rest of last night off to think about it and decided maybe a taper fixture wasn't such a bad idea (for me) after all. Things went better after that...except my adjusting screws will be on the chuck side of the carriage. Not a big deal really. Although I am at a loss to explain how I did that. I thought I was being careful. I would just swap parts around but that would require more machining. I slid the gibs in place with fingertip pressure and the carriage locked itself down solid as a rock. I had to tap the gibs back out with a bit of al-you-men-e-um  :)

My thinnest feeler gauge is .001 and it doesn't even begin to fit between the gibs and the underside of the ways. I checked the bedway at two inch intervals and found less than .001" difference and that was right on the tailstock end. I guess they have improved the quality control department at Seig in the past couple of years.  Tomorrow I will put the old gibs back on long enough to make up a proper set of adjusting screws and then I will trim and swap everything out and toss the old gibs in the rainy day material box. Oh yeah...I have to mill clearance for the drive gear too. While I have the carriage off I will fit a set of wipers and felts and add oiler ports to it. That will take this little lathe a LOOOOONG way towards being truly useable.

I expect the power supply for my mills' power feed unit to arrive in the mail from Canada tomorrow. All I will have left to do then is build the enclosure to keep the nasties out. Next I can put on the counter weight and longer Z axis rack. Then it's back to the lathe for a full tailstock rebuild. Being laid off from work was the best thing that ever happened to me...so much extra time to build my shop up.  :thumbup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version