Author Topic: AutoCad question.  (Read 5208 times)

Offline DavidA

AutoCad question.
« on: December 12, 2014, 09:40:28 AM »
I should know the answer to this,  after all  I do have City & Guilds in AutoCad up to administrator level,  but that was thirty  years ago.

Here is the question.

Assume I have two point on the drawing.

Now,  to measure the distance between them is easy.

Buy there is a command that will allow you to set the distance.

It works something like this.

You use (whatever it is),  click on one point,  move to the other then enter the dimension you want the space to be,  say twenty millimetre.   This will set the scale for the rest of the drawing.

Can anyone remember the command ?

Dave.

Offline bertie_bassett

Re: AutoCad question.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 12:30:26 PM »
you may be after the 'reference' command i think that does what your after.

though it is an unknown command in my 2002 version?

'scale' will also do what your after,  though youd have to select the object and then type in the ratio/scale
a competent engineer uses the tools and knowledge available, to get a challenging job done.

An incompetent "engineer" tells his boss that the existing equipment "can't do the job" and to get another machine

Offline DavidA

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 02:38:57 PM »
Bertie,

No,  it's nether of those options. Thanks for the pointers. 

I learned on Revision 12.  And I have a manual by Que ' Using AutoCad; release 12' that I'm searching through. I've looked up the two that you mention and they don't do the job.
I have a huge amount of paperwork in a couple of folders somewhere and it looks as if I will have to strip out the loft and find them.

It's a very rarely used command (function ?) so we didn't cover it much.

A curse on my bad memory.

Dave. :doh:

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 02:06:23 PM »
ahh sorry i dont know what it could be then, been a few years since i was taught, and dont really use it all that often anymore.

i use scale to increase /decrease the size of an object in a similar way to what your after,  i think

if iv got an object 10 high that i want to increase to 15 but keeping ratios i do the following
i use scale, then click on an object, then type in 15/10 as the ratio and the object becomes 15 high

supposedly reference would give a similar outcome although you'd click on 2 seperate points of the object ( 10 apart), then type in its dimension e.g 15

i usually just search around on google to find commands if im not sure howw to do things, just type in  basic description of whats required and see what pops up!
a competent engineer uses the tools and knowledge available, to get a challenging job done.

An incompetent "engineer" tells his boss that the existing equipment "can't do the job" and to get another machine