Author Topic: ER32 "UM"?  (Read 12332 times)

Offline sparky961

ER32 "UM"?
« on: November 21, 2014, 08:11:42 PM »
I recently purchased a set of ER32 collets with an R8 collet chuck. I bought them because they were a good deal, even though my machine is MT3. The plan was to simply get an MT3 chuck on eBay and everyone would be happy.

Ok, here I am - unhappy.

What I ended up getting was an ER32 UM collet chuck. No, the other ones I have don't fit. Can anyone explain where I went wrong? I had always assumed there was only one kind of ER32. :-(

Offline Swarfing

Re: ER32 "UM"?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 04:33:55 AM »
Both nuts should fit on either collet holder as the thread etc is the same. The only difference should be whether you use a spanner or a castellated wrench to tighten it?
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 05:19:03 AM »
Not heard of the "UM" designation. A quick google seems to indicate that it's just a balanced version of the nut for speeds up to 18000 rpm. My personal favourite is the bearing version of the nut as it's so much easier to tighten than the plain ones.

For your info the one I have is the "B" type half way down this page:

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Collet-Nuts-Wrenches-and-Spanners

Can you show us a picture of your chuck and collets?

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 11:19:19 AM »
Ignore this if you're already familiar with how the ER collets fit into the offset seat in the nut.  You have to snap the collet into the nut before screwing it onto the chuck.

Many 1st time ER users make this error...including me a few years ago!  Again, my apologies if this is old news to you,
Milton in Tennesee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 12:44:05 PM »
Ignore this if you're already familiar with how the ER collets fit into the offset seat in the nut.  You have to snap the collet into the nut before screwing it onto the chuck.

Many 1st time ER users make this error...including me a few years ago!  Again, my apologies if this is old news to you,

I sure would have appreciated this advice when it WAS my first time inserting a collet...   At the time it took me a while to figure it out. :)

Unfortunately that isn't the case right now.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 12:47:40 PM »
I'm beginning to think that the set I have isn't actually ER32.  A quick search online wasn't able to clear up what I actually have though.

They look like ER32 but seem to be a lot longer (2.045" overall).  I was thinking maybe ER40 but the dimensions didn't match up to that either.  Any suggestions or sites that may help in the ID?

Unless I can figure out what they are and find an MT3 chuck they fit, my options are to a) shelve it until I have a machine with R8 spindle, or b) sell the collets and chuck as a set.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 12:49:51 PM »
Both nuts should fit on either collet holder as the thread etc is the same. The only difference should be whether you use a spanner or a castellated wrench to tighten it?

The nut from the new one is much smaller than the existing.  Kinda like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. ;)  I should have been more careful about determining the actual collet size/type before purchasing a holder.

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 01:00:51 PM »
It should be written or stamped around the rim what size and type it is. Sounds like a need for pic of all the components next to each other.

Offline sparky961

Help identifying collets (Formerly: ER32 "UM"?)
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 01:36:55 PM »
It should be written or stamped around the rim what size and type it is. Sounds like a need for pic of all the components next to each other.

Yes, definitely time for some pictures.  I squinted at the old chuck for a while and wasn't able to locate any identifying marks.

Thanks for your clues!

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 01:43:38 PM »
Picture 2.
They look like DIN collets to me not ER's
John Stevenson

lordedmond

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 02:02:26 PM »
Def not ER collets they are to long

Stuart

Offline sparky961

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 02:07:07 PM »
Picture 2.
They look like DIN collets to me not ER's

I think you may have it.  Very little information out there on DIN collets compared to ER,  though I did find a few charts showing dimensions close to what I measured.

Thanks for the tip.

Anyone interested in purchasing the set? ;)

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 02:11:29 PM »
Yes they are DIN 6388 collets, i have one of those hiding away somewhere?

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 03:52:17 PM »
i bought a set of ( er32's ) to add to the few i already had, they did not fit my holder...turned out when i put on my glasses :doh: they said in VERY VERY small print (  ER32 type   )  collets... these too are a little longer..
Lyn.

PS: they are Chester collet set.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 04:07:32 PM »
They look like TG collets to me
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline sparky961

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 04:15:34 PM »
They look like TG collets to me

<sigh> The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 05:41:16 PM »
yep every thing is out of the window don't think ther is any standards you will be amsed at wat they chuck out and say ther 6" rule

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 05:41:36 PM »
Sparky,have you considered making your own collet chuck to suit your requirements?......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline sparky961

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 08:12:33 PM »
Sparky,have you considered making your own collet chuck to suit your requirements?......OZ.

Yes, definitely considering it as one potential solution to my mess. Thing is though, if I do that then the other collet chuck I just bought is useless. Guess I could try to resell it, but I haven't been having much luck in the sales department lately.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 08:37:27 PM »
Quick tip!  A lot of the collets that look like ER type and are not have less slots in the collet.
From the den of The Artful Bodger