The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

WAY OT...... The Titanic...... Sobering experience

<< < (2/2)

cedge:
History of the wreck is replete with bad decisions. Hull metal that was probably of the wrong metallurgy, chain of command violations, super rigid personalities and even many faulty assumptions concerning design and safety issues were all at play to create a perfect storm. Add a dose of panic of enormous proportions and little could have been done to actually prevent the disaster.

As humans, we tend to put high faith in technology that we fully seldom understand. That era was no different, thus the idea was born that the ship was unsinkable and capable of full speed even in such dangerous waters.

John...
I too have heard the mattress idea floated about, but the logistics of such a task would have been basically impossible, once the passengers crowded the passage ways. The engineers who designed the water tight doors apparently never anticipated the ship going so far down by its head, with so few compartments being flooded. Their design depended on things remaining relatively level if there were to be a breach that put them to the test. Bad assumption.

The exhibit was quite amazing. The huge aquarium crowd is always abuzz with the typical noises emitted by happy people having fun. When you entered the Titanic room, the silence of those taking the tour was striking. It was obvious that it was having an effect of one sort or another on nearly everyone there. I was just amazed that it would have had such a profound effect, on me, after so many years of studying and reading about the event. Even my youngest grandson, age 7, sensed this was no place to expend his never ending enthusiasm and behaved himself.....quietly asking me questions about what he was seeing.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version